• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from NYC!

Dan724

5 Year Member
Hello all, I've been a member of this forum just for a little while. I just wanted to say thanks and what great members we have here. I have kept tropical fish since I was very very young. My first tank of livebearers was in 1976 or 77. Since then I have kept a variety of pets. I worked for a pet store for a spell, I kept Discus at one time. I also kept and breed a varitey of reptiles.

After a few years of not keeping anything, including fish. I got the bug back. It started last year with a gift of a simple betta in a bowl. Then I got a 50gal community tank. Then the tetra started to spawn that required a 5 gal to accomadate some fry. Recently a pair of kribs spawned and that required a 10 gal for those fry. It seems never ending

Well living in a small 1bdrm apartment and fish keeping is difficult. I guess thats why I appreciate Dwarf cichlids. I have never kept them before, but from my experience so far they are a little fish with lots of personality. I presently have a pair of the most beautiful kribs I ever saw.( if you havn't given them a try, go for it), bolivan and blue rams. I havn't seen any quality Apistos in LFS yet. When I'm ready I will probably mail order, there seems to be many sources.

Again Thank You, to members and forum admin for providing quality information. :D

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma spp. in NYC

Hello Dan,

Very glad to have you aboard!

The soft, acidic water in NYC is perfect for keeping dwarf cichlids. For good sources, have you looked into the Brooklyn Aquarium Society? Their web site address is http://www.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/main.htm. I think they are the largest aquarium society in the country.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Dan724

5 Year Member
Thanks Randall, LOL yes the water is perfect here!!

I've heard only good things about BAS. I couldn't live further in NYC from the Aquarium, though it might be worth becoming a member.

I need to reframe from purchasing more tanks. How much weight can my floor take?

Randall

5 Year Member
More tanks or Dan's got the bug

Hello Dan,

Even if you were only able to attend a few meetings each year, I think a BAS membership is well worth it. Some of their members travel to the North Jersey Aquarium Society's meetings on occassion, so I am familiar with some of the BAS membership. As a member, you would also be able to participate in the club's presentations, auctions and special events. Please check it out. I know a group or groups from Manhattan travel together to Brooklyn each month.

As for how much weight your floor can handle, do you live in a prewar, postwar or modern building? Some of the prewar buildings were built a lot sturdier than the more contemporary ones. One way to accomodate more tanks is to spread them out, so too much weight is not concentrated on too small of an area.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

jerseyjay

5 Year Member
Dan,

I would like to invite you to North Jersey Aquarium Society on June 17th, 2004.
Our club will be hosting David Soares who will speak on "South American Dwarf Cichlids"

Some of live stock available at the monthly auction on June 17th, 2004 from David Soares Fish Farm.

Apistogramma
Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple red
Apistogramma cacatuoides Orange Flash CF
Apistogramma panduro
Apistogramma trifasciata
Apistogramma borelli
Apistogramma eunotus "orangeschwanz"
Apistogramma steindachneri
Apistogramma "Rotpunkt"
Apistogramma mcmasteri juvs!
Apistogramma agassizi Rio Tige CF

Non Apistogramma
Latacara dorsigera
Latacara curviceps

I will see you there. If you have any questions, let me know.

[email protected]

PS.
Randall is a member of our club as well. :wink:

Dan724

5 Year Member
Thank you for the invite!! I'm going on holiday that weekend. What good way to kick it off. Is there going to be other fish for sale or just dwarfs? Thank again.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….