• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Long Island, NY

Brian Gibbins

Just set up a small planted tank in my office to get back into some Apisto action after a long break from them. Looking forward to catching up on all the new information out there.

Brian Gibbins

So after driving around to many of the better LFS in the area and making a few calls, there do not seem to be any apistos available to purchase. My tank is a 7 gallon with driftwood and full of live plants. Any recommendations on specific species for this size tank and any good leads on where to get them? I've never bought fish online before and am hesitant to rely on someone to ship high quality animals to me. Please help.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wait until the new year to have fish shipped yo you. All of the carriers are WAY to busy right now and the risk of having a box of fish sit an extra day in the old somewhere is more likely then not to happen.

Check the sales section for forum members at the bottom of this site. I sell fish but specialize in mainly wild caught Apistogramma with the occasional offering of tank raised fish. David Soars, also on this site from time to time, sells tank raised Apistogramma. There are also other members who will post fish for sale from time to time and you can place your own add stating what fish you are looing for as well-if you can narrow down the list any! :)

And welcome to the forum!

Jeff

Brian Gibbins

Thanks for the advice, I kept agassizii in this exact setup with much success just about 10 years ago as this is the only species I commonly see available. I have no experience with any other species and need some enlightenment on what else is out there to help me with my search.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
LOL...only over 300 species! And maybe 40-50 of the available in the US on a regular basis and another 40-50 that you can find from time to time.

Here is a GREAT site to burn some time and cause you to drool: http://apisto.sites.no/slekt.aspx?gruppeID=1

My Peru shipment of 11 species of Apistos got delayed until the first week of January so I may well change the order some but hear is what I had planned on bringing in:

Apistogramma agazzisi blue
Apistogramma algodón I
Apistogramma bitaeniata red
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma cruzzi (most likely A. cf. eunotus Orange Tail)
Apistogramma ermnopyge
Apistogramma baenschi
Apistogramma allpahuayo (was A. sp. black chin)
Apistogramma nijsseni
Apistogramma panduro
Apistogramma sp. Oregon
Apistogrammoides pacallpaensis
Peru angel fish
leapoldi angel fish

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….