• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hard/ Alkaline Questions

H

HardAlkguy

Hello All,

I am new here, so be gentle. I have been doing some searches and it seems this is an accepted way to introduce myself.

58 gals
9 GH
8.0 pH

I would like to keep apistos and or rams. The tank is currently empty except driftwood, water and a rock (granite so no addition to hardness). I will be adding in plants in a week or so and fish after that. I have peat to add to the filter and have 'filtered' water available from Wal-Mart. My lfs is an hour away and my only source of RO water. I can get 17 gallons at a time from them, but I only make that trip once a month.

I would appreciate any comments on the feasability of this setup working. Ideas on how to lower the GH and pH. I prefer to use as natural an approach as possible. Also, suggestions on species/types of appistos. I don't mind the black colored water from the peat. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

aspen

5 Year Member
h kevin! softening water is important for breeding rams and apistos, yet for just keeping them, they will do fine in somewhat harder water. your water parms are almost identical to mine and i have had some luck in my water. i have even had some hatching from rams, but would prefer to soften it for any decent size hatches.

the best way imo, to soften water and lower ph, is to mix your tapwater with pure r/o and put some peat in the tank. alternately, peat can be added to your mixing barrel, and this water can be filtered as you add it, or use as is. when you say that you have some peat for the filter, i assume that you have purchased the stuff from the lfs. use this for now, but when replacing your stock, try your local garden center and ask for 'pure canadian sphagnum peat' with no additives or esp dirt. this is a little messy in comparison, but a LOT cheaper. a whole bale costs me 4 bucks or so. the mess can be somewhat contained in a variety of methods.

btw, this forum is a very friendly place, the posters here are very knowledgable, yet you get no attitude. i can't remember one arguement in a year and a half. nice to see you.

rick

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you take into acount the cost of the water and the cost of travelling to get the water, RO is a cheaper way to go. You can get an RO system that will meet your needs for less than $200. There is a guy on www.DAAH.info who sells after-market systems he builds himself. His on-line name over there is RandalB.

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
you can also go with Aquarium pharms Ion exchange unit. only about $30 now at Big AL's.

Neil

HardAlkguy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I tend to lean toward you trying to get RO water some way or another. With a tank your size, you could get a 10g. per day unit and have plenty for water changes and all the drinking water that you will need. These units are under $100 and are well worth it if you are planning to breed most Dwarf Cichlids.
Neil

H

HardAlkguy

to update:

I went to my LFS this weekend and bought 20 gallons of di water. I tested it, it is at 0 gh as expected. I also bought 3 7kg bags of Onyx sand by SeaChem. I did a water change on my 58 gallon aquarium using the 20 gallons of di water and added the onyx sand. 36 hours later my water is still cloudy, I am thinking I didn't rinse it enough, and I tested my hardness and pH. My pH is higher, maybe 8.2 and my hardness is up around 11 gh. I am not sure what has caused this, is it possible that it is the Onyx sand? Have any of you used this product before? It doesn't say anything on the package about affecting water chemistry. It does say that it is good for planted tanks. :?: Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Kevin

farm41

5 Year Member
I have plenty of experience with onyx sand, I threw it all away. It may not say anything on the package, but on Seachem website it says that is has a "slight buffering effect". It leaches calcerous substances into the water, not good for a softwater tank. It changed my normally 5Kh water to 8KH. It is great material for plants and I really like the looks of it, but it doesn't belong in a softwater tank.

Sorry for the bad news. :(

HTH

H

HardAlkguy

Man alive, great!

Anyone need 21kg of onyx sand? *sighs*

Kevin

farm41

5 Year Member
I know, I have 60lbs in my garage in a plastic container. I use it in the dapnia tank though, they need the calcerous stuff. :roll:

aspen

5 Year Member
he he. don't try pushing that stuff on an apisto forum...

maybe find an african cichlid forum. there are people who want to raise their kh there i think. maybe you can finds someone down the block there.

sorry about that. it isn't cheap, i know. i use plain sand in my planted tank. check all materials with an acid test. you'll save yourself problems. they should make it more clear that it shouldn't be used in a softwater tank. you aren't the first to make that mistake. and you won't be the last either.

rick

Underhill

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
If you take into acount the cost of the water and the cost of travelling to get the water, RO is a cheaper way to go. You can get an RO system that will meet your needs for less than $200. There is a guy on www.DAAH.info who sells after-market systems he builds himself. His on-line name over there is RandalB.

tjudy,
I have searched on DAAH and I know you frequent that site, as well. Does RandalB still sell the R/O kits and pumps? I see that he has previously sold booster pumps but, nothing is listed on their sale/trade site. Will he sell them to non-DAAH members? Thanks
Jack

Underhill

5 Year Member
R/O

Aspen,
Thanks a lot. It's funny to see how many of the people on this board share a number of interests in apisto's, discus, and planted tanks.
Jack

dhm325

5 Year Member
Ted Judy wrote:

I bought a reverse osmosis unit and pump from RandalB. The price was great and he was always available to answer my questions. I strongly recomend RandalB. His email address is [email protected].

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….