• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German guttata

blueblue

5 Year Member
German guttata

gut1_170.jpg

gut2_140.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
They don't look good???????
Essentially, it is the first pair of German guttata that
i acquired and this fish is quite rare in Asia :)

peterK

5 Year Member
Obviously, they are nice!:biggrin:
Are they tank-bred or wildcaught?
If you say 'German Apisto' it almost always means that they are t-b, but they don't look so differently from 'normal' A. guttata.
Only male fish has a bit less number of small black or red spots.
I'd like to read your opinion, blueblue.

Piotr>>>

Rolo

5 Year Member
If you say 'German Apisto' it's almost always mean that they are t-b, but they don't look so differently from 'normal' A. guttata.

They are tank-bred from Wilhelm in germany. I have the same (but unfortunately my female died). But you're right, that there are no obviously differences to the wild form. The number of spots is variable and depends on size, age, food and dominance.

regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A guttata is one of my favorite fish to keep. I got mine years ago from a friend who collected them from the Rio Morichal Largo. He also sent me some Nanacara quadrispinna. The guttata have a wonderful outgoing personality - and not especially hard to breed. Wild fish are hard to get because they do not occur in areas typically collected commercially.

peterK

5 Year Member
Mike, if it's your favourite Apisto, and you say that they are not hard to breed I must buy them if I'll find them in my neighbourhood:)

Piotr>>>

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, please do. Then visit Denver & bring some fry for me. I gave my F1 trio to the collector, who lost his fish. The next day my wild female died.

Rolo

5 Year Member
I gave my F1 trio to the collector, who lost his fish. The next day my wild female died.

I have the same problem. ;-)
I gave my fry away and then my female died. Fortunately he still have them, so I hope to get back a female soon. The problem is, that most of the fry are male and just very few female.

And they are really nice fishes.

regards,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
If you say 'German Apisto' it almost always means that they are t-b, but they don't look so differently from 'normal' A. guttata.
I'd like to read your opinion, blueblue.

Piotr>>>

Hi Piotr. Rolo has basically replied for me.
Hmm, yes, they are tank-bred and its red tail tells you that
it is a result of the color-enhancement by the reputable german
fish farm. I have not seen any wild-caught of this species
(i did see some similar ones from the mixed apistos but i
thought they might not be guttata given its special
and limited distribution region).

What i heard from some people and read from books is that female guttata has fewer spots on the body, compared to the male one...

blueblue

5 Year Member
A guttata is one of my favorite fish to keep. I got mine years ago from a friend who collected them from the Rio Morichal Largo. He also sent me some Nanacara quadrispinna. The guttata have a wonderful outgoing personality - and not especially hard to breed. Wild fish are hard to get because they do not occur in areas typically collected commercially.
Thanks Mike for the supplement :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Yes, please do. Then visit Denver & bring some fry for me. I gave my F1 trio to the collector, who lost his fish. The next day my wild female died.

It's a typical bad story for apistos hobbyists ...
You know, from now on, when i am interested in a species,
i will get at least two pairs... the chance of keeping the
species for a longer time is more guaranteed as we have a backup :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
I have the same problem. ;-)
I gave my fry away and then my female died. Fortunately he still have them, so I hope to get back a female soon. The problem is, that most of the fry are male and just very few female.

And they are really nice fishes.

regards,
Rolo

Hi Rolo, i know that some guttata could have very well-extended dorsal membranes... do you have some information and photos to show us how
far the dorsal fin can extend?? Some people say they could grow to a level
similar to A. sp. "Breitbinden" :)

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Rolo, i know that some guttata could have very well-extended dorsal membranes... do you have some information and photos to show us how
far the dorsal fin can extend?? Some people say they could grow to a level
similar to A. sp. "Breitbinden" :)

Here is a picture of mine, the male is adult and about 6cm large. Not a good picture, just a handy-shot. But you can see the dorsal fin. It's not as high as a Breitbinden. Maybe the dorsal fin can grow up some higher in good conditions and soft water, but I doubt, that it will reach the height of a Breitbinden.

guttata.jpg

regards,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Piotr and Rolo.

To Rolo: yours is very very beautiful (there're so many spots!!)
In fact, the description of its being close to Breitbinden is just
relative to other members of the mcmasteri group...
in fact, you photo is showing a male guttata which is close to
some Breitbinden (of course, we all know how impressive the dorsal
fins that some Breitbinden can have) :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….