• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time biotope

Fishkeeper93

I have just joined this awesome website and I am so glad I did.

I would like to create a black water Orinoco biotope and as strict as possible with the fish it's quite hard to find accurate information about fish species from specific rivers.

The tank is a Fluval 190 corner tank with an external filter which is rated 2000 lph so I will have to slow the flow down, I only have a 150w heater so I will have to upgrade that to a 200w - 300w soon to achieve a higher temp. Substrate is just plain old play sand with some nice branchy bogwood and a few stones with some Indian almond leaves and a couple alder cones thrown in for visuals and water chemistry.

For the stocking here goes my plan I will need help with numbers of each species

Mesonauta Insignis
Marbled hatchets but not sure about origin mixed information on interwebs
Cardinals tetras
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

But the main problem I have is picking some catfish for this tank as I don't have A brilliant knowledge about these fish?

Corydoras metae
Pygmy cory
And a lovely species of plea or two which I have no idea which one to pick but I have narrowed it down to these based on location

L129
L106
Peckoltia sabaji
L128
L103

I think this just abouts covers this and I'm sorry for such a long read

Thank you

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
First thing I learned on this site was that there are no rocks in the Amazon. :)
Sounds like a great potential tank.

Fishkeeper93

You may be right but I think I will have to use some to weigh the wood down or can you suggest something else to do the trick?

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
For cories, more is better. I think at least 6 for the pygmies, as they like to school.
Also, I think for the plecos, more is better also in that they'll have territorial disputes and interact more, so you'll see them more often (than them just hiding all the time).
For catfish advice, try planetcatfish.com

Fishkeeper93

For cories, more is better. I think at least 6 for the pygmies, as they like to school.
Also, I think for the plecos, more is better also in that they'll have territorial disputes and interact more, so you'll see them more often (than them just hiding all the time).
For catfish advice, try planetcatfish.com

I was thinking for a stock list

3-4 x festivums then keep 1 pair
6-8 x marbled hatchets as they are smaller then the silver
15-20 x cardinals
4-6 x German rams and keeping a trio or something?
6-8 x corydoras metae
10 x Pygmy cory
And I'm still not sure about which plec yet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….