• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First sucess at spawning

vail94

5 Year Member
I have one male Orange Flash Apisto and two females each female is in it's own 10 gallon and i have been pimping the male between the 2 females. The trick is that I have had my first sucess at spawning Apistos with one of the females :) so i moved the male to the other females tank which he promotly went in and spawned with that female and she now has wigglers.:) She is being very agressive with him and won't let him anywhere near the cave. I don't currently have any dither fish in the tank but i was hoping to instill good parenting skills in the male, if she won't let him near the wigglers will her agression increase when they become free swimmers? I have another tank set up for grow out but it has only been going for a week with a seasoned sponge filter. Any insight would be helpful.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congradulations, Charles. Male A. cacatuoides are not directly involoved in parenting his offspring. Once he fertilizes the eggs his parenting duties are done. You might want to remove him because now all he does now, is bother the females and not help. Most female apistos are good mothers so it is unlikely that she needs dither fish to encourage her to do her motherly duties.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandro Thiermann

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(