• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fighting Females?

wass29

5 Year Member
I went to my LFS on Friday while on my lunch break and they had just recieved 6 Apisto Borelli's ( all of these fish are about 3/4 of an inch long) I did my best to pick out 1 male and three females to put into my 10 gallon in the office. I left them alone over the weekend with the light on a timer. This morning when I came in I have one male for sure, his colors are true to a male borelli according to what i've read and the pictures i've seen. The other ones i'm not so sure of. While I was watching the other fish I think they were fighting but it looked real funny to me, they were almost backing into each other and swimming around backwards towards each other. Both of these fish have a yellow body with black stripes on them, the third fish looks the same but was not competing in this game with the others.

Is there a for sure way that I can tell the gender of these other fish without waiting six months to see them grow up.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female borellii can be sexually mature at 3/4". What you are seeing is competition for breeding territory by the 2 most dominant females. The other fish should be removed. It obviously is the 'low man on the totem pole'. Personally, I think that even a trio of borellii is too many for a 10.

depthc

5 Year Member
I think a trio in a 10 gallon is to many also. Ive got a pair in a 10 gallon and they do fine with no crowding but with the addition of another female or two as you have in your tank i can see things getting complicated. Relocate two of the females and hopefully the 'shy' one colors up more in a larger tank.

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….