• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female ID help!

U-WUS

I've been having a lot of problems getting a good shot of my "by-catch" female apisto, so, using Mike Wise's work sheet from thekrib.com here are the details as far as I can give them.
Body is thin (much like Agassizi, but with rounded Caudal fin)
Very thick lateral line which broadens to just before 1/2 body length and then narrows into the caudal fin (about 1/2 way into the caudal fin). At the front of the lateral line, and just below it, there is a pale line which does not extend more than half the length of the lateral line. A much fainter line above the dark lateral is also (just) visible. No Lateral spot.
No Dorsal spots, but a dorsal line runs the length of the base of the fin.
Blue speckling on the gill covers and 1 under the eye (much like A agassizi)
No preorbital or superorbital stripe. Suborbital stripe narrows to about 2/3 of the way to the ventral fins. No stripes on the ventral fins.
No abdominal stripes.
No caudal spot.
No abdominal bands.
The anal fin has a slightly darker leading edge.
There is also an orange/reddish tinge to the caudal and dorsal fins.
My feeling is that she may be A. bitaeniata, but her lateral line seems too thick and the lack of strong paler lines above and below the lateral line make me doubt.
I've been trying top get a decent shot of her for several weeks, but so far I've not had much luck. I'll post what I've managed to get a.s.a.p.
Any help with IDing my female will be greatly appreciated as I want to try to breed her, but without knowing what I'm looking at, it's rather difficult to get a mate for her!
TIA

U-WUS

She was in with "balloon" Rams, which is why I put by-catch in inverted commas.
My wife insisted on saving her from the shop (it's a dreadful place) and I'm now faced with the problem of finding a mate.
The lateral line really is very thick, about 1/3rd of the body width at its thickest.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is hard to say which species you have based on the description. It could be several different species, probably from the agassizii- or bitaeniata-groups. Females are often very difficult to identify because many are very similar. A photo might help. Since it came with a domestic bred Ram, my guess that it is also a domestic bred fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….