• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding fruit to Apisto's

RustedKnight

So I know that in the wild apistogramma will eat a lot of fallen fruit.

I'm tempted to have a go at recreating this in the aquarium, but i'm wondering if I should take any precautions etc, if its best to cut the fruit up, do I want softer fruits, obviously remove them before they rot.

Also, are there any fruits I should avoid.

Thanks for your help, Rusty.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm not sure about fruit, I saw Steve mention it on the BCA forum but I don't know where the observation came from. The only similar thing I've seen is that I have noticed some of them like to have a peck at the courgette (that I put in for the shrimps and Otocinclus). They don't do this with cucumber or sweet potato, just courgette.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The few examinations of stomach contents of apistos in the wild show that they are basically carnivores (primarily aquatic arthropods & insect larvae). Minor amounts of vegetable detritus was also found. It appears to have been ingested as a byproduct of eating organisms living on the detritus. I don't recall ever seeing reports of actual pieces of fruit in any report.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….