• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

European (pref. UK) Apisto breeders

C

chadhog

Dear all,

I am finding it difficult to get hold of some pairs of the more unusual Apistogramms and was wondering if anyone outhere can help - either by contact details or themselves?

Specifically, I am looking to get a pair of A. panduro and a pair of A. elizabethae. These seem available in the US but shipping does not make it worthwhile.

Looking forward to your replies.

cheers,

Will

Neil

chadhog,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There are quite a few members from your neck-of-the-woods. Maybe you could try to go through the memberlist and PM a few of the people that are closest to you. There have also been numerous discussions in the past about fish in the UK with some links to businesses. Maybe you could try a search for those threads, if you don't get what you need out of this thread.
Good luck,
Neil

C

chadhog

Success

I followed an old thread from April and am going to give one of the dealers that ships fsh within the UK a go - I'll let you knw the outcome so if anyone else is thinking of this route watch this space.....

C

chadhog

Mail Order Success

Well, just had my delivery of a pair of A. Viejita Rio Meta, A. Panduro and A. Cacatoides Sunburst from trimar Aquaria - http://www.trimar.co.uk (as recommended in thread from April - thanks Neil) and the sunburst and rio meta are absolutely stunning so success from this palce - shop is in Cornwall if anyone fancies a visit - their list is extensive and certainly for Apistos seem to have a pretty good range. Who knows, maybe I'll even get sorted enough to post some pictures....

aspen

5 Year Member
that is great chad, so happy someone on the forum could help you out. watch those viejita's- they can be quite brutal. i hope that you have them in a tank of their own, with some dithers. personally i don't like to mix dwarf species anymore, unless the tank is very big and provides lots of cover, spec multiple males.

rick

C

chadhog

Mixing Apisto. species

aspen said:
that is great chad, so happy someone on the forum could help you out. watch those viejita's- they can be quite brutal. i hope that you have them in a tank of their own, with some dithers. personally i don't like to mix dwarf species anymore, unless the tank is very big and provides lots of cover, spec multiple males.

rick

This was useful advice but too late - my new Cacatoides were seen to (I suspect by these Viejita - as they seem happy enough) on day 2 of their cohabitation and I have mnaged to isolate the Panduro I got at the same time as I could see this going the same way. The trouble is my isolation is very temporary - a plastic breeding trap. My tank is 3 foot ish and 180l - planted with plenty of rocks, caves etc - plenty I would have thought for a couple of Apisto species so my question is 'can I have another species that will stand up for themselves against these Viejita or I have I got a 3 ft tank with one pair of 'decent' fish (& dithers, a couple of plecs and some clown loaches) in it for good?

Also should I let the Panduro take their chance?

Looking forward to suggestions and thanks in advance

Will

firetank

5 Year Member
must agree with the previous statement, thru experience i think id rather have a single species happy with a harem, then 2\3\4 cooped up spending their time arguing over territory..... more stress than needed really..

even so, people cna and do make community cichlid tanks work well, just increase plant\ rock \ cave cover to break up LOS and provide plenty of hidey holes in there...

how about trying some of the stockier cichlids such as Jade eye, Keyhole, Laetacare Thayeri..... not true dwarfs, but also not in the same league as blue acara, firemouths, cons etc......

maybe.. guys>?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….