• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Easy or diffiult species?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I have some thoughts about this subject. Over the years I have been reading about experiences from a lot of Apistospecies from different people.
We all seem to have very different experiences about the way we keep and breed these species.

My top 5 list of species from difficult to very easy is like follows:

Pertensis
Gibbiceps
Steindachneri
Borelli
Resticulosa

Would be interesting to see how you would arrange the list?

Regards

Neil

P.W.,
I have found gibbeceps to be one of the toughest apistos to breed. More difficult than pertensis for some reason. Pertensis needs very soft, acidic water, but seems to breed without too much trouble when that is provided. But gibbeceps is a "hit or miss" proposition (at least for me) even after appropriate water is given.
I also think that steindachneri is easier than resticulosa, but not by much. I would put the list like this:

Gibbiceps
Pertensis
Resticulosa
Steindachneri
Borelli

However, it should be noted that, even what is considered a tough species, can sometimes be easily bred and one that everyone else has no problem with may give you fits. That is the beauty of this hobby. The individual fish don't read the forum or books. They do what they want and act how they want.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….