• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Pike ID

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Picked up this little one, couldn't help myself. Doesn't seem to be the regular Cr. wallacii that has been coming out of Colombia (I have had that race twice, neither the males nor the females get the red bar through the dorsal). That bar hasn't appeared in either the noto's I've had or any Cr. regani I've kept or seen pics of. I'm a bit stumped. Pics were taken outside for the natural light and no flash. It was listed as Cr. wallacii ... and does sort of resemble the female Rio Branco race from Jens Gottwald's pike site (http://www.crenicichla.net/). But I didn't think the Rio Branco was in one of the approved commercial collection sites that Brazil is actually allowing.

100_00111.jpg

100_00151.jpg

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Sadly, no. They only had one left. If I had only set my tank up two months earlier. I debated getting just the one without a pair, because often times the males are almost identical and it's the females that confirm the ID.

I just couldn't pass on that on that dorsal fin pattern though. Especially since it's a new species/race for me.

gerald

5 Year Member
Maybe folks at the shop remember who else bought some of those pikes and can get you in touch, so you can coordinate about swapping or loaning fish for breeding. I'm guessing pike fanatics may be among the shop's more "memorable" customers. Hope you can track down a female!

Sadly, no. They only had one left. If I had only set my tank up two months earlier. I debated getting just the one without a pair, because often times the males are almost identical and it's the females that confirm the ID.

I just couldn't pass on that on that dorsal fin pattern though. Especially since it's a new species/race for me.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I talked with one of the employees that brought one home, but sadly his jack dempsey didn't like the pike killing other members of his tank. They only ordered three in, and since it was two months ago, they didn't remember where the other one went. I did find out which wholesaler they came from, and I know which LFS's order from that particular one ... so this weekend I think I'll make the trip around town and see if anymore has any more. Pikes generally don't sell well, dwarf pikes even less so ... so if they ordered some in, chances are some might still be at the stores.

I have already emailed two pike experts here in the states, and I'm going to email the wholesaler as well. They have been good at answering emails in the past so it's worth a shot.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Update: Got emails back both from Dr. Wayne Leibel and Vin Kutty, neither of which recognized it. So I'm super excited.

It's behavior is a bit odd, almost like a bellycrawler pike. I'm wondering if it might be a rapids dweller.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Success!!!

Tentatively of course. It seems Oliver Lucanus has pics of this dwarf, coming out of the Rio Inirida and being mixed in with the Colombian Wallacii. This very well might be the sp. Iniridae dwarf that Aquatic Clarity was looking at ordering on the list a few weeks ago.

arodg12

Wow, That's really exciting, seems to me that it is a very unique species and that you've stumbled upon quite a discovery! Good luck learning more about them!

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Wow, That's really exciting, seems to me that it is a very unique species and that you've stumbled upon quite a discovery! Good luck learning more about them!

Thanks!!

Congratulations! Have fun with it!

Oh I will Hudson, I will. Since exports from Brazil are nonexistant, we are counting on you to find some new dwarf pikes while you are apisto hunting you know!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….