• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dorsal fin flash of M. altispinosa fry

R

Roy Wadey

I have some Mikrogeophagus altispinosa fry that are now about 6 weeks old. All the fry have a very dense black coloration to the front portion of their dorsal fin that is much more extensive than the dark coloration of the first three spines in the adults, covering at least the first six or seven rays and the membranes between. This black mark is bordered on the posterior edge by a bright gold coloration. As the fry move about the aquarium they constantly raise and lower their dorsal fin spines so that the gold marking appears to flash on and off like a lighthouse beacon. Is this coloration normal in M. altispinosa fry, or is this a mutation in my spawn? If it is normal, how long does it persist before the adult coloration is established?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Roy,

Mine are the same way. It almost seems the dark markings stop developing and the rest of the fish grows around the marking. My latest batch is about 7 months old and the fish are a bit over an inch, the dark marking looks more like it belongs on them. Good luck with them.

Ken

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That flash signal is likely a schooling mechanism. It allows the group to stay together. That is the hypothesis anyway. There are several exmples of fish that are brightly or distinctly marked as juviniles that may fall into this hypothesis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….