• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sneaker male. A. Atahualpa

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I got a few questions regarding a. Atahualpa and maybe sneaker males in general.

A few month ago my dominant male died. After that the dominant female continued the hierachy. I was sure i had 1 male and 2 females. Subdominant female i didn’t see much exept when eating.
Now i’m not so sure any more.
Within the last 3-4 weeks the roles have switched. And i now get to see the subdominat female taking on the dominant role.

-do subdominant males pass on developing male features such as dorsal fin spines, if kept as subdominat till adult stage?

-the fish in question do show some blue color on posterior part of the body like a male but is missing the dorsal fin of a male.
My confirmed female don’t show any blue. It also have the broard black part of the ventral fins as a female and both have the 5 black markings on dorsal fin root.
I will try to get some pictures of the fish in question, but so far its not been very cooperative in that department.

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You had a subdominant male, which can show more female characteristics for a time, or a female that has changed sex in the absence of a male. It is hard to say which.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….