• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus maculatus

Smallfish

I purchase a pair of Dicrossus filamentosus, turns out they are Dicrossus maculatus, not a bad thing. Prior to acquiring the fish I had spent a couple weeks reading up on specifically Dicrossus filamentosus, so now I am reading up on Dicrossus maculatus and thought of this forum.

I would like to know if there are any major differences between the two kinds in their preferences such as Dicrossus filamentosus (black water) and Dicrossus maculatus (whitewater).

Thanks in advance :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
D. maculatus is a clearwater species. D. filamentosus is a blackwater species. D. maculatus doesn't require the extremely acid water as does D. filamentosus. Soft water is a good idea for both.

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Mike,

Have you had success breeding D. maculatus in neutral or near neutral pH? Seems I can only get them to spawn successfully in fairly acidic, soft water (pH 5).
Steve

Smallfish

Thank you Mike, there seems to be little difference but there is not a lot written specifically on keeping D, maculatus. Other then the clear water and black water, there seems to be a slight difference in water acidity for spawning.

Levin, yes the fish were acquired at the HAAS auction, however I had seen them once in seller's tank prior and really liked them. I researched based on the name given to me. The fish are comfortable and have come out of their stress mode and are very colorful, so yes both males. Not a bad problem, but I will be looking for some females in the future.

freshwaterfishfan the last owner obtained the fish from you, they are absolutely gorgeous. But now I know why he gave up on spawning them.

Anyone, the smaller male seems to be displaying or fanning his fins out to larger male is this aggression or a confused fish? I can not find any info on compatibility of the same sex.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Anyone, the smaller male seems to be displaying or fanning his fins out to larger male is this aggression or a confused fish? I can not find any info on compatibility of the same sex.

Attitude can be as important as relative sizes when it comes to intra-male aggression among D. maculatus but generally, the larger males will dominate over the smaller males but the operant word is "dominant".
The stress caused by the aggression can be insidious and the results are not always immediate but eventually there will often only be one surviving dominant male. Good luck finding females. They are more valuable than the surplus males sense they are best kept as trios. Sex ratios in spawns tend to be skewed towards males which also causes females to be valued more.

Smallfish

Has anyone done any research on skewed sex ratios in dicrossus or is it pretty much a crap shoot
Not on D maculatus specifically, check out http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?p=53946

The quote refers to a study Environmental determination of sex in Apistogramma (Cichlidae) and two other freshwater fishes (Teleostei) published in 1996 by Römer, Uwe & Beisenherz, Wolfgang. Some say the study is inconclusive but I think the point is environment (temps included) could play a part in sex ratios. This may or may not apply to d. maculatus. I do wish I had the translated paper to read, anyone have one to share?

I am looking for females to get one breeding group, I will keep the additional males separated to prevent them from destroying each other. as they are beautiful on their own and seem peaceful enough with small tetras and other cichlids.

Question would a male dicrossus of other variants, be as aggressive to each other? Or does it come down to intra-male aggression among Dicrossus as a whole? Sorry i know a beginner question, but I do not know.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... a study Environmental determination of sex in Apistogramma (Cichlidae) and two other freshwater fishes (Teleostei) published in 1996 by Römer, Uwe & Beisenherz, Wolfgang. Some say the study is inconclusive but I think the point is environment (temps included) could play a part in sex ratios. This may or may not apply to d. maculatus. I do wish I had the translated paper to read, anyone have one to share? ...

Although the paper was originally published in German, this paper is published in English in 2 places: the original English paper in the Journal of Fish Biology, v. 48(4): 714-725 and in Cichlid Atlas 1.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….