• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dicrossus filamentosa

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
Will these guys(dicrossus filamentosa) co-habitate with A.Cacatuiodes
and A.Borelli. I don't anything about them but they have a raw beauty
about them. I have a 40 gal(heavily planted) with a duo of cac's and
a single borelli male.

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
I have several Dicrossus filamentosus (all males) and have found them to be quite aggressive to similar looking fish. I have 2 in a 4ft planted and they quite happily see off some much larger fish such as Crossocheilus siamensis. A male Pelivicachromis teaniatus is equal to them though he couldn't save any of his fry. The D. filamentosus proved to be quite excellent and stealthy fry hunters.

Neil

apisto_shores and mummymonkey,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Although filamentosa can cohabitate easily enough with cacs and borellii because of the markedly different morphology (as mummymonkey pointed out), there can be some disadvantages. Water requirements for filamentosa are quite different. Even for general husbandry, I have found it to be an advantage to provide pretty soft, acidic water (where it is not necessary for the mentioned apisto species). For breeding, it is critical to have exceptionally low values. Filamentosa is an animal that will probably fair best in a species tank where its environment can be carefully controlled.

I am actually quite suprised by the fact that taeniatus allowed them near to their fry without dishing out a good caudal-whooping! :)

Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….