• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cycling Question ?

T

t_calley

Okay this does not seem possible so please give me your input. I recently set up a 55 gallon, I squeezed spong from my current 29 gallon's filter into the new one and borrowed 1 cup gravel, 1 live plant, and the large rock to help jump start the bacteria colony. After 1.5 weeks my ammonia is already headed down. Tested at .5 last night. Is is possibly cycling this quickly? I have 4 serpae tetras I am using for the cycling that have been in a little over a week, filter is rated at 330 gph.

Thanks,
Tiffany

douginsf

5 Year Member
Hey Tiffany,

Yes, I believe this is possible. I work with various smaller tanks (5g/10g/20g), for breeding purposes mostly, and sometimes when I set up a new tank I will just use a sponge filter that has been in an established tank. Then I fill the new tank with 50% fresh water and 50% cycled water from an older tank. I usually keep the new tanks pretty understocked, especially when breeding, so by doing all of this I can pretty much have an instantly cycled tank.

I used to go to LFS that would give new customers, who purchased tanks from them, a nylon stocking with about a cup or two of gravel from one of the store tanks to help get things going.

Also if you buy a bunch of plants for your tank they will bring in even more bacteria.

Have fun with your new set-up!

~Doug

Randall

5 Year Member
Cycling

Hello Tiffany,

1.5 weeks sounds about right to me too. Please remember that as the ammonia levels drop, the nitrite levels rise.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….