• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Colombiatope Project

Crazygar

5 Year Member
In my short career in keeping fish, I have truly become "ADDICTED" to not only the keeping of fish but providing the most natural environment for them as possible. Hence my first true project combining localized Fish and Plant into one tank.

As stated eariler in my first few posts here, I have NEVER owned anything Cichlid. This includes Angelfish! Now, with the donation of a 53GAL tank and some creativity on my part I am now creating a Colombian biotope in which to house some Apistos and other "Colombian fishes" (Apistos being the big prize) as well as plants.

I have been asked by few on this Forum to post pictures of my progress and keep a "diary" or "journal" of my progress. Without further writing (I know I am long winded) here is the startings of "Colombiatope", my Colombian Biotope project;

Tank Specifications;
System : Open Top Aquarium
Dimensions : 36" LONG X 18" WIDE X 19" TALL
Filtration : Fluval303 w/o Carbon. Grandulated Peat and Floss + Custom Plumbing
Lighting :1 X 96W Power Compact Satellite System w/Moonlight
Photoperiod: 12hrs day/12hrs night (subject to change based on algae etc.)
Co2 Inject : Yes. 15lb pressurized. DIY Reactor
Heating :Currently HOB 250W Heater (subject to change)

Pic 1: In The Begining
Colombiatope1.jpg

The lights were originally for a Saltwater tank! Notice nothing in the tank except a few pieces of Driftwood and my "Palm Tree" in the back. Cringe.

Pic 2: Wood Is Good
Colombiatope2.jpg

Corkbark provides an interesting texture to the tank and will simulate a fallen, covered piece of wood in the tank. If the Apistos dig a little, they will find "compartments" underneath, as it was glued onto a piece of slate on a 45 degree angle with "smooth" stones jammed in vertically to create "rooms".

Pic 3: Flooring And Designing
Colombiatope3.jpg

This is my initial phase of laying down the substrate. I do not wish the plants to intrude on the sand to I divided the initial Flourite layers with plastic Landscape dividers I use for my gardens in the spring. The sand is only 2" deep to provide an area for the Corydoras metae to dig and "root" around in.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Cont'd;

Pic 4: Closeup Of Division
Colombiatope4.jpg

Here is a good closeup of Corkbark (look real close and you'll see the angle) and my plastic divider separating (at the current moment) sand from nothingness. 1 bag (7kg/15lb) took care of one section giving me about 2.2" depth of substrate. Not bad.

Pic 5: Finished With The Floor
Colombiatope5.jpg

This is the final "addition" of substrate phase. Notice the clear division between the Flourite and Sand! It took 3 bags (21kg/42lb) of Flourite to give me a MINIMUM depth of 3.5" of substrate. I am sure over time, this will be spread around. But for the most part, the plants will anchor most of it in.

depthc

5 Year Member
Looks like a great start crazygar. Im interested in seeing how this tank turns out. Your hardscape is pleasing and has potential.

You mentioned your tank is 36" by 18" by 19". This comes out to 45 us gallons and 53 uk gallons, just letting you know if you hadnt already.

Keep us posted with updates. Ive got a very simular setup only my tank is 24" high and 12" wide, and i dont have the pressurized C02. Im using the diy method and so far the tank has been nothing but an algae farm. As of right now ive got some nasty green water. Good luck to you.

Andrew

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Weird, my calculations 36*18*19/231=53.53.29870 and with this number rounded off, it comes to 53GAL. I wonder if I am doing a UK conversion or US conversion. How does your formula work?

Hardscape now has rock and "hidden" cave placement. I plan to use small 3.5" flowerpots to create the caves. To move this one step further, I plan to cover the flowerpots in silicone and roll them in the substrate. Brush off the excess and partitially bury behind/next to rocks and other features in the tank. This way, it looks more "natural". Some will even have rocks glued to them to more authetic looking.

I've been running Hagen PlantGRO systems I and though I do enjoy the ease, the limited usage time and inability to control Co2 flow drives me nuts. Its great for my 19GAL planted, but for this, a pressurized system is more efficient and needed.

More updates as they happen.
Gary

depthc

5 Year Member
Ah yes you are correct. It works correctly with the same formula you used. I used this calculator http://fishprofiles.com/interactive/convert.asp?type=tvol

My tank is 36" by 12" by 24" .. i misconstrued the two by figuring the same total inches. Infact your tank is 53 us gallons and 44 uk gallons. And mine is 45 us gallons and 38 uk. Ah simple mistake on my part.

Sounds like your going to have some pretty natural looking caves. It might be a good idea to whip up a quick article on making natural looking caves, i know it would benefit quiet a few people. Keep us posted with pix :) .

Andrew

Greg PL

5 Year Member
Crazygar said:
This is the final "addition" of substrate phase. Notice the clear division between the Flourite and Sand! It took 3 bags (21kg/42lb) of Flourite to give me a MINIMUM depth of 3.5" of substrate. I am sure over time, this will be spread around. But for the most part, the plants will anchor most of it in.
Crazygar,

I tried to mix sand with gravel a few times and always ended up with the gravel on top. phisics must have sth to do with it ;) as well as some underground works of M. tuberculata.
next thing, during cleaning the sand was gradualy sucked away.
if you wish to have the "sand zone" you may consider separating it with some walls around - using dead wood and/or rocks.

Greg

Crazygar

5 Year Member
tried to mix sand with gravel a few times and always ended up with the gravel on top
Its just sand Greg. I have put nothing in that "Sand Zone" that will cause it to disappear.

I've had the same issue with my large 55GAL tank. I had gravel underneath and sand on top. Now I have gravel with sand all in between. I've learned my lesson.

This layer of sand in the tank is only 2" deep, plenty for Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Corydoras to keep it turned over at a good rate.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Yeah, but mainly just equipment repair/update and purchase. Getting my seals for my Fluval303 and starting to piece together my external Co2 reactor/diffuser. I also have to find some suitable "rocks" to add to the hardscape before starting to pour in the water and get the plants in there.

For the first onset, I am going to BLAST Co2 into that tank to get things moving and then after a month of good growth and limited algae, I will throttle things down and start to stock.

I am considering a pH controller and solenoid to "monitor" and "control" Co2 levels in the tank for a more "stable" environment.

Gary

aspen

5 Year Member
save your money on the solenoid. try it and see. you shouldn't get too much difference. fish get used to a little shift, day to night. m,any people have a similar set-up, and don't have any problems.

rick

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Well what a day! First I finally got motivated and decided, this was the weekend that I would start the ColombioTope "FALSE START". Firstly, I finished on modifying the plumbing for the Fluval303.

Installed all the seals and filled it with water. Closed it shut and setup the lines. Next was the task of filling the tank with water. 53GAL takes an enormously long time with just a 4GAL jug. But I managed to fill the tank without disturbing the substrate (yes, I am a patient guy).

Now, here somes the disappointments;

(1) Upon starting the Fluval (after water fill), it made a horrendous noise. Almost like someone has thrown marbles into the impeller. All lines were open and seals were intact. Upon opening the "impeller" housing, the darn thing looked like it had exploded!! So much for great bargain on eBay for $36US!

(2) Being a sympethic woman (actually surprised at how angry I was), my wife said lets just run out to the local PetsMart and pick another one up (I sure wish I had done this in the first place). Going down the rows, I managed to find a Rena XP1. I know, a little under rated, but with high plant load and low bioload, I should be fine. This time around, I am more knowledgable then when I worked on my 55GAL!

(3) Opening it up at home (after dismantling the Fluval303 system), I open the box to find that I am missing "one tube". With all stores closed, and a tank full of water, I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow. Its my luck, I am a true MacDonald.

Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….