• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cogochromis dimidiatus

Njd

Hi, i recently got into west african cichlids and purchased a book called Cichlids From West Africa by Dr. Wolfgang Staeck. In the book i found a page of Nanochromis Dimidatus which I belive is the same as Congochromis Dimidatus. This is where a started to get confused in the photo in the book there in a pic of a Bright red fish, but when i look up Congochromis Dimidatus i see a fish that looks nothing like it. The photo is by Hans-Joachim Richter and when i try to find it online i get nothing. I've seen forms of people talking about the "Ture Congochromis Dimidatus" but im not sure what there refuring to. Dose anyone have any info on this fish?

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hey njd!

I’m not an expert on west african cichlids, but i do know that c. Dimidiatus is still on my wishlist.
There is a few threads on this board about that species.
I don’t recall seeing any red “version”.
Could it be due to its an older book and the colors got shifted a bit?

If i remember correctly, they got split into congochromis/nanochromis according to which side of the Congo basin they are found.

Check out the videos from russel tate,
To get a good idea of their original habitat.
https://m.youtube.com/@RussellTateAquaEcoAfrica/videos

Last thing. I saw that ruinemanns in netherlands have them on their list, so check if your lfs get fish from them.

-r

Reactions: Njd

MacZ

Congochromis was divided off of Nanochromis in 2007. So all literature older than this will use Nanochromis.
C. dimidiatus is regularly imported into the EU and by no means a rarity anymore. Still has some exclusivity, though.
The political problems in their region of origin are getting worse at the moment. So any of the next import shipments might be the last for a while.

The book by Staeck is almost 30 years old. The colours in these older prints don't hold as true as one might think.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Njd, your English copy of Linke & Staeck's West Africa book, published in 1994, was originally published in German in 1984. As such, the information and some identifications are 40 years old and dated. Richter's photos (and ID) are from the 1970s. If you are truly interested in Westies, I suggest that you look for a (relatively) newer book by Anton Lamboj. In 2007, while at the ACA convention in Denver, I was privileged to take Dr. Lamboj, his wife and daughter on a day-long tour through Rock Mountain National Park. I still smile when he was mesmerized by seeing a humming bird dance in front of his face while surround by a herd of 25 - 30 elk/wapiti. I got his book from him the that just started being distributed. Even then he told me that genus and species names in the book would change in the future - just like a taxonomist, they change the names to confuse the aquarist!

Njd

@Mike Wise I'm not sure it due to age. Here are the pictures from the book
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

MacZ

Yeah, definitely the print and the fact that back then peat filtration was used a lot more than today. The colours are thus enhanced. It's not wrong if the fish look paler nowerdays. Still the same fish.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Yeah, definitely the print and the fact that back then peat filtration was used a lot more than today. The colours are thus enhanced. It's not wrong if the fish look paler nowerdays. Still the same fish.
add to that the tank lighting has changed a lot since then.

-r

MacZ

Absolutely, the pictures were taken on an analog camera under probably an Eheim first or second generation light. Very strong reds back then. Most tanks looked like a greenhouse up until far into the 90s.

Reactions: Njd

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's not the age of the book that's the problem. It's that the ID of the fish might be wrong. I went digging in my 'black hole' of an aquarium library. The oldest book by Richter that I have (Aquarienfische im Blickpunkt, © 1984) shows the same specimens but different poses. I'm pretty sure I saw the same photos in a TFH magazine in the 70s, but I didn't have a chance to look through them all. As for the fish in the photos in Linke & Staeck, they seem to me to be most similar to Congochromis sebinae (= C. sp. Makoua/Genema). There are several species in genus that can show a bright orange/red color in certain moods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….