• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

changing water in fry tank

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
Hi,

i usually leave the fry with parent and after remove the male
but i want to put my fry in a new tank i setup for them , to get better chance.

the Setup of the tank for the fry is very simple
- java moss
- sponge filter
- no gravel , some ligth

i have some question :

1 - after how many day (after free swimming) i can move them ?
2 - can i do water change in the fry tank
3 - and if the answer of question 2 is yes , what percent water should i
change and and wich period (once a week, every 2 days ) ?

thanks for all
B.

Randall

5 Year Member
Fry

Dear B.

What species of fry are you asking about, please? Some fry are better left with their parents longer than others.

Did you ever join the ASG?

What ever is your first name anyway?

Thanks.

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
More fry

Dear Jason,

With dwarf cichlids some fry are better left with their parents longer than others. Laetacara sp., for example, have extremely small fry. I usually leave them with their parents for as long as possible, say about 3-4 weeks after they become free swimming. Cave spawners tend to have larger fry, although there may be some exceptions, I suppose. With them, I generally kept them with the folks for about 2 weeks, after they become free swimming, before attempting to move them.

From my experience, small, frequent partial water changes in a fry tank are best.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
thanks a lot

but what i experienced before is after a some weeks the parent (most probably the male) try eat the fry to have the female again.

so i decided to try an other methid :)

Jason

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….