• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Carbon filters and blackwater.

Ian Logan

5 Year Member
Hi All

Earlier this week I read a thread from someone who had set up a blackwater biotope but had discontinued the project as they didnt like the look of "black tea" as a front room aesthetic; I've tried to re-find the thread again for reference but without success.

Im interested to know of anyone has any knowledge or opinion as the to effect activated carbon would have on removing discoloration without affecting pH.

Is anyone using carbon for this purpose?

Thanks

Ian

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Im interested to know of anyone has any knowledge or opinion as the to effect activated carbon would have on removing discoloration without affecting pH.
I'm not an activated carbon user, but I think that the humic compounds that cause the water tinting are chelators and have anti-microbial properties, so when you remove this you lose some of their effectiveness.

You can reduce pH with an organic acid (like citric acid (C6H8O7)) that won't colour the water, have a look at Regani's posts in <"peat granules to lower pH...">.

cheers Darrel

Ian Logan

5 Year Member
Hi Darryl

Thanks for the reply, Your point about chelating properties is taken.
I will check Regani's post again - thats a really good suggestion as the local tap water is around 300mm/L

Cheers

ian

gerald

5 Year Member
Even a small amount of blackwater organics is probably helpful for blackwater-adapted species kept in very soft water. Use as much as you're willing to tolerate visually; it doesn't have to be black-tea-dark. Keeping fish in ultra-soft and acidic water without any blackwater organic compounds is probably stressful to their osmoregulation. Dissolved organics somehow help fish retain salt ions in the body when those ions are very rare in the surrounding water, but the mechanism of how this works hasn't been discovered, last time I tried investigating this.

Ian Logan

5 Year Member
[QUOTE=" Keeping fish in ultra-soft and acidic water without any blackwater organic compounds is probably stressful to their osmoregulation. Dissolved organics somehow help fish retain salt ions in the body when those ions are very rare in the surrounding water, but the mechanism of how this works hasn't been discovered, last time I tried investigating this.[/QUOTE]

Interesting I hadnt considered osmoregualtion effect - thanks

Ian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….