• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can older Panduro/Nijsseni males have extended dorsal fin?

Melanochromis

I saw a very beautiful pair of Apistogramma labeled as "Panduro" at a fish shop yesterday. The male, who is very large and seems a bit old, has an extended dorsal fin.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera with me. But I found an Internet picture that looks similar to the fish (the bluish/yellowish coloration is similar, no clear botch at the tail at the time of observing, the dorsal fin is somewhat developed).

Please have a look at this picture and imagine a similar fish with a slightly higher dorsal fin.
http://akvaforum.no/profile.cfm?id=1123&tab=3&image=13524

So my question is that can an older male Panduro, or perhaps Nijsseni, develop an extended dorsal fin?

Or perhaps it is a different fish?

Or perhaps it's a hybrid? With extended dorsal and more yellowish color than a usual Panduro, can be it a hybrid with Inka, which happens to be quite common here?

blueblue

5 Year Member
I have seen and kept male Panduros which develop extended "long" dorsal;
but not Njsseni (Panda).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One easy way to differentiate A. nijsseni males from A. panduro males is the form of the dorsal fin. A. nijsseni males have truncate/even dorsals while A. panduro males have slightly serrated dorsals - which can grow slightly longer with age. The fish on the akvaform.no is correctly identified.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….