• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding stunts fish??

aspen

5 Year Member
there is a fairly common myth (maybe) about discus, that they should not be bred before they are 2 years old, due to the fact that they will slow down or stop growing when they are expending enegy making eggs etc. does anyone feel this to be true of dwarf cichlids?

i don't know if there is any truth to this, but i just figured i'd ask here to see what you guys (and gals) had to say on that.

rick

Neil

Hey aspen!
This is an interesting subject. I don't think that there is a universal effect from breeding on growth levels, but I am sure that it plays a role. However, I have found that females usually do seem to stay a tad small when they start breeding early. But males seem to not be as affected by the process. If anything, IME males seem to actually come-of-age when they start breeding. I have noticed that many apisto males do not get really profound species traits (like the very nice body colors of a hongsloi II or the very extended dorsal and caudal filaments of agassizii) until they start courtship/breeding. I haven't noticed any really stunting from males, but then I don't have them breeding repeatedly from the beginning. I assume that the energy from food intake goes more toward egg production in females and more toward milt production in males. Additionally, if you have ever watched apisto courtship, breeding, and parenting, you know that they expend alot of enegy in these efforts that might be normally used for growth.
Another issue seems to be stress associated with breeding. Many apisto deaths happen sometime shortly after breeding. This make sense when you, again, look at the energy expendature during this time. Stress is many times responsible for decreasing the fishes defenses again disease. And breeding is stressful! It would make sense that there is not alot of growth that goes on during that period and maybe it also has implication after as well!?
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….