• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding ?'s

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I was wonderin if i were to get a trio of apistos and a pair of angels would the angels eat my apisto fry, and would my apistos eat my angel fry? thanks

cootwarm

5 Year Member
How large is your tank?

It might be possible for a pair of apistos and a pair of Angelfish to coexist and spawn in a well structured (lots of caves & plants), large tank (55 gal or larger). But at some point the apisto fry especially will be at risk when they decide to stike out on their own. (Probably when the apistos spawn a second time) They will still be very small and without the protection of the parents, like Matt said, excellent Angelfish snack. Perhaps the fry will be large enought to net when that happens.

Michael

newworldan06

5 Year Member
it is a 30 gal tank but i think i am goin to take the angel fish for the apistos to breed and when they done i will move angels back. will that work?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
No problem. A 30 gallon is a good size for a trio of apistos. It's my favorite size because it's roomy for the fish and I can still move it by myself when I need to. One time I had 3 spawns of borellii during the same week in a 30 gallon. There were 3 male & 4 female adult borellii in this tank.

It was cool watching the 3 separate families living in the same tank. After 6 - 8 weeks, 2 of the mothers abandoned their brood and spawned again. Most of the fry joined the 3rd family, but a few became independant at that point. Even though they were small, none of the fry were eaten by other fish in the tank (7 adult borellii & 4 beckfordi pencilfish). It was also cool watching the 2 families of new small fry in the same tank with the larger fry of the first spawnings.

Michael

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Thats sweet dude. Do u kno if aggies will do the same thing? And if i got 2 male aggies and 4 female would that work (as in the matter that they wont kill other fry)? And my ? was still not answered would i have to take the angels out for the aggies to breed? or could i leave them in there?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I don't know. I haven't tried aggies yet.

Borellii are known for their gentle temperment. I tried the same thing, with the same setup with viejita (3 males & 4 females), but only 2 females spawned. Over a period of days, the fry disappeared. I think the extra viejita were picking off the fry for lunch. It didn't help that the dominant male would take large groups of fry for a swim about the tank and let them spread out too far and he would leave the stragglers behind! Once I removed the extra viejita (leaving a trio) the fry nolonger disappeared.

Aggies would probably do fine in a 30 gallon, but with only 1 male and 2 or 3 females. Someone with experience with aggies can probably tell you for sure. If they are young it probably wouldn't hurt to start with more than one male, but be prepared to get rid of the extra male(s) when they begin to spawn.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….