• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding problems

S

stever521

for some reason I can't get any of my apisto's to spawn with every effort I can afford them they just don't want to spawn I can't seem to figure it out, at one point I got so frustrated I ordered some Killi eggs just to raise some fish (don't really know my own logic here?) when I read this board and hear of peoples apisto's spawning what seems like every other day I can't seem to figure it out. Thats my rant for now just had to get it off my chest. oh ya and any suggestions. Thanks for this board to vent my frustrations.

Neil

stever521,
Don't give up! They are not the easiest fish to breed. That is probably why people are more than happy to talk about it when they do.
Let's see if we can help get you a spawn :idea: What fish do you have? And how are you housing them now?
Neil

S

stever521

I currently have A. Caucatuoides 2males 1 female in a ten gal. planted tank, A. Panduro 1 male 1 female in a 29 gal. planted tank along with two male A. Agazzi, the two male agazzi have finished off the three females before the panduro's where housed with them (agazzi), both tanks are at about 6-6.2 ph, temp. 76-79deg. F, both have lots of light 3-4.5 wpg but also have a lot of plant cover and caves to hide in if necessary, they are fed at least two times a day frozen brine or live bb when i have it water changes are with RO water and RO Right 1/4 teasp per 5 gal. thats all i can think of now.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Neil

stever521.

Ok! Let's concentrate on the cacatuoides first. Assuming that these are old enough, this is what you should try.
Take the sub-dominant male out of the 10g. and put him in the other tank.
Raise the temp. a couple of degrees to about 80, but don't worry if it gets to 82 or so. Do a 50 to 75% water change with staight RO water. Don't reconstitute with RO Right. Do not worry about the pH. It will be fine.
In addition to the frozen brine, buy some frozen daphnia, mysis shrimp or OSI Marine flake food. Feed once with brine and the next time with the other choice of the 3 that I mentioned. In addition, get yourself some frozen blood worms from the LFS. Add 1 extra feeding per day of the blood worms per day. This should make 3 feedings per day. Do not feed heavily, just 1 extra time (5-10 little bloodworms-depending on the size). When you feed all foods, make sure that you are shooting (or putting it) in the direction of the female. Let the male fend for himself. If he is being aggressive at the feeding time and scaring the female off, then feed him a little and squirt the rest near the female.
After 1 week, let us know how things are going. Don't worry, you can go back to your regular routine soon.
Neil

S

stever521

OK, Thanx for the help Neil it seems that it has worked, the female Caucatouides is hiding in one of the flower pots which the male doesn't let out of his site, we'll see what happens over the next few days.

Neil

Well, how about an update. What happened with the female. If she was in the cave on the 3rd and is still acting like she has fry, then it will be very soon when she brings them out!
Neil

S

stever521

Sorry, well last night 16th she was out with her fry it like a lota little wigglers for a first spawn but whos to complain, THANKS for the pointers they really worked, now what?

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'THANKS for the pointers they really worked, now what?'

make a 50 tank fishroom, and go into production. now you are a pro. he he.

wtg, have fun, rick

Neil

stever521,
Congratulations!! :D Glad to help. But I have to warn you that aspen isn't kidding :roll: . Having successes can lead to a real problem. More tanks for growout, more tanks for other fish to continue your successes and general more tanks to have around just in case. The addiction may well have already gone further than you think.
For now, get food to the fry. I have been off-forum for a couple of days, but I wish I would have seen this earlier. They are probably free-swimming already or soon. You need to get food to them as soon as they are coming off the ground. What is happening with them now?
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….