• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Apistos

natczer

5 Year Member
I have had two male "blue head" apistogrammas for a little while now and have fallen in love with the group. I would be interested in breeding and wondering which species of Apistogramma would be good to start with. Any suggestions?

Natalie

Neil

natczer,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Unfortunately, you have started with a species that you will unlikely to be able to find a mate for. This is an eastern European hybrid that also goes by the name of A. sp. "Steel Blue". It's roots in the wild are debatable.

You do have many other choices that are available to you, depending on what is at you LFS or how far you are willing to take your search. Apistogramma borellii (Opal is quite similar to the fish that you currently have), cacatuoides, A. sp. "Rotpunct", etc. are easily breedable. But, you should search around and see what you like and how easily you can get it and then ask some questions here. To give you advice about what I, or anyone else, thinks that you should get, takes away alot of why you may want the fish. If you choose a difficult species to breed, that doesn't necessarily mean that you should not try it. It just means that you should be more prepared for what it may require.

Good luck,
Neil

natczer

5 Year Member
breeding

Thanks!

I purchased a pair of cacatuoides and a pair of agassizzii. The pair of agassizzii spawned in my community tank in a matter of days...argh! I moved them to a separate tank, but no luck...think the eggs were eaten after a few days...Figured the cacas would be easier, but the agassizzii surprised me. I have them in my breeding tank now, but they aren't showing any interest in each other any more. Any suggestions? PH, temp and hardness are all good. What might incite them to breed?

Thanks,
Natalie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….