• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding apistos in bare bottom tanks

L

Lonny Langione

Hello,

Does anyone here breed their apistos or other dwarfs in bare bottomed (glass) aquariums? I am keeping apistos and killies. None of my killifish tanks have gravel, and they are easier to keep clean and I don't have to worry about live blackworm colonizing in them. I am currently keeping cryptocoryne plants in their tanks with java moss. The crypta are all potted in shallow clay pots. Any feedback would be helpful

fishgeek

geerally the only thing on the bottom of my tanks is a bit of peat
so yes bare bottoms are fine i my opinion

Apistt_ed

i prefer a little substrate. I have come to love darker natural gravel because it seems to calm the fish down a little more. I keep killies (mostly Gardneri) and apistos and mine seem to be more at ease with a little gravel. without gravel, they seem a little more skittish and spook easier. A few of them have injured themselves because of this so I now keep the thinnest of thin layers of small gravel which seems to help.

Z Man

5 Year Member
When I was running full throttle I had 80 small size tanks (5, 10, 12, 15 gals) and not 1 pound of gravel. Much easier to work with for breeding. Some I purchased used and were painted black on the outside bottom but I don't think it made any difference to the fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….