• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Apistogramma Nanay

Dirk

5 Year Member
First of all hello from Germany,

this is my first day and also my first topic in this forum. Hope of a interesting discussion with you.

I breed all the common Apisto, now I try to breed the Nanay, or also called here in Germany the "Papagei" or Algodon I (sometimes its really a mess with the names). Have somebody of you any experiences for this Apisto? I tried it with the normal water-conditions for the apisto, but nothing happened. Also very helpful for me would be a adress, where I can see the female of the Nanay. I´m not sure, if I have the right "girl".
:D
Thanks a lot!

Ciao
Dirk

Neil

Dirk,
Welcome to the forum :!:
The two fish that you speak about are different. A.sp."nanay" is a fish the Germans were calling sp."melgar". And A.sp."papagei" was a fish they were calling A.sp."nanay". So, anyway, I am assuming that you have papagei and that you are in for a treat. The males are on both Apistogramma.com and Acurio Nanay http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/jota.html. However, i am not sure whether Julio has a pic of the female or not. I will search around a little and post again if I find one somewhere.
In the meantime, there is an article on papagei on my site entitaled Apistogramma Deathmatch 2000 http://www.apistogramma.com/adm2000.htm.That might give you some ideas. They need quite soft and acidic water! Good luck. Neil

Dirk

5 Year Member
Hi Neil,

very useful article, great!

In the meantime I found out, that I have the right ladies. This is the adress
www.fancifulfins.com/Apist-O-Rama/Pictures/papagei/papagei.html

All of my 4 girls have this spawning colors since 2 weeks, but nothing happened. As stated in your article I have nearly the same water conditions as PH 6, temperature 26 and of course no KH and GH (osmose). Regular waterchange once a week is obligatory.

From my point of view I have done all I can do. So I have to wait. 8O

Ciao
Dirk

Dirk

5 Year Member
Great!

One of my 4 couple did it. Now I haven´t wait any longer. With some luck I can see the jung fishes in some days.

Today I´m a lucky guy. :D :D :D

Ciao
Dirk

Dirk

5 Year Member
Hola,

most of the Apistogramma are polygam. I would like to give my male "Papagei" 3 ladies. But I don´t know, if they are polygam or only monogam.

Avoiding stress I think it´s better to raise the question here as to try it.

Ciao
Dirk

Neil

Dirk,
I have not tried to harem-spawn this species, because they are so mean. Although it might well work in a large tank. Be watchful of them though, because once one female spawns the parents might take exception to anyone else in the tank.
Did your first spawn turn out or are you wanting to try this because you lost them?
Neil

Dirk

5 Year Member
Hi Neil,

my interests are focussed only for apisto (of course some neons) and nothing more. I have all the common apisto like nijsseni, trifasciata, tefe ... and also some apisto very special and rare here in Germany like miua, paucicquamis, guttata, wilhelmi ... (by the way I know the discoverer from wilhelmi. His name is Wilhelm and he found the apisto 1999. He has lets say 150 tanks and sometimes I buy some apisto from him. He is very famous here in germany-might be a chance for me to make perhaps the trip to Brasil with him).

I never saw before the papagei and this apisto is for me absolutely the star (I really love him). In the meantime I have enough babies and so I want to give the papagei an own big tank. Only for him. Thats the reason I asked.

Ciao
Dirk

Neil

Dirk,
It sounds like we need to be talking to you about rounding-up some of those species that you have access to over there and sending them here. Wilhelm must have some impressive stuff in those 150 tanks of his. As a matter of fact, you have some impressive species. Have you bred any of the wilhelmi, miua, or paucisquamis? I have had guttata and the paucis before.
If you want a tank for your male papagei, by all means, give him several females. He will love it 8) .
Neil

Dirk

5 Year Member
Neil,

think it will works when I give the male papagei some females if they are big enough in 2-3 months. we will see.

Of course I breed the mentioned apisto. Guttata only a few eggs, wilhelmi I bought one week ago and yesterday they got spawn, paucis got spawn several times but something is wrong with the female (I never seperate the female from their spawn)-still working on it. Miua seems to me no problem.

Neil, I´m not a professional breeder. I do that only for hobby, so I think it´s not a good idea for me to send apisto abroad. I´m wondering about your inquiry if you really means it serious. I think you will have also some professional breeder like Wilhelm in america where you can get rare apisto.

But let me give some mor impressions about Wilhelm. I know people who book a hotel room near Wilhelm and spent the whole weekend with him, watching, discussing ... So it´s no wonder that he is called here in Germany the "Apistogramma-papst" (really no joke). You see many of his apistogramma (photos) in special apistogramma-books and he is in close contact with Linke and Dr. Staeck who wrote some books about Apistogramma. May be you know their names.

Wilhelm is a private but professional breeder. I know that most of his fishes are going to Japan. So if you really want rare Apistogramma I can send his adress via PM to you. Unfortunately he has no internet adress and I don´t believe he speaks English. Anyway I can help you in this matter if you want.

Ciao
Dirk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….