• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding A. Agassizii

Apistt_ed

Hello Dan,

So, you're gettting into aggies also? Great! I have kept agassizis that are really stubborn at first and then I have had aggies that would spawn in any condition I had them in! Well, to answer your question based on my experiences, everyone has their own little ways to induce their fish into spawning but some of the things that I do to get my little guys to spawn is to get the tank conditions just right (ph<6,0. kh<2 or almost undetectable) and leave them in there to get acustomed to the tank. The tank setup is a 10gal with an aged sponge filter (the ones that run on an air pump), light thin layer of a good fine gravel (about an inch) as it makes it much easier to clean and maintain the water conditions, and not as many plants as one would usually keep for apistos (usually a small clump of java moss & one or two java ferns), and then I would have a plain clay pot (2-3 inches at the rim) with one solid piece of wood. I would get a clear plastic divider for the tank and separate the two with them being able to see each other but keep them from chasing each other around... more like keep the male from being too aggressive and then I'd fatten the female up with a good diet of CBWs (cultivated blackworms) and protein rich foods but I would shy away from flake foods until the female is fat with eggs and is starting to court the male from her side of the tank!
** The most important thing I have found to induce spawning is the water changes which are done at 25% every week or so and then right as the female is getting fat & starting to show interest in the male more so than usual, I do a 50% water change and I take out the divider. All of my water is strictly aged R/O soaked with a little peat if you want... to get the slight color you get from the peat as I have found it is appreciated. If she is full with eggs, then they will spawn within a few days (usually 2-3 days). Depending on the pair that you have, if the female isn't too aggressive towards the male, I will leave him in there... but if she is constantly searching him out to attack, it's best to take him out as he's done his job already. :wink: It seems that with the water change, I also crank up the thermometer to raise the temp slightly 3-5 degrees as it helps my fish... temp is at 20- 23 degrees prior to the BIG water change! After that, it's all up to her to fan and clean the eggs. If it doesn't work, then I repeat the process all over again, which will take about 2weeks time.
AGAIN, this is what I have found to work and doesn't guarantee a successful spawn but with the beauty of these fish (appearance and behavioral) ... it takes practice and trial & error along with a little luck. So, with that... GOOD LUCK! hopefully this helps a little.
And how are your borellii?

john

newworldan06

5 Year Member
My borelli are doing just fine but i like the agassizi's better. I will be putting the agassizi's in a 30 gallon long tank with couple of cocnut shells, lots of drift wood, and plants. They will be in there with a couple oto's. I was wondering if this would be fine for breeding to with out all the divider stuff? I was going to get 1m/2f.

fishgeek

i dont seperate mine and they spawn like guppies
i dont change the temperature anymore , i used to make it warmer to stimulate the first spawns
i feed lots of live foods all the time

make sure the tank is easy to break down as once the fish spawn and raise fry a well planted tank can be difficult to catch fry from

plants attached to wood
no substrate other than some peat mulm(dependnig o your water)
and lots of free floating moss
thats how i would do it

andrew

Apistt_ed

Hello,
Again, the divider is what I do that's all... it's surely only an option and something that I have done that's worked. it's strictly for breeding purposes and is something that came about as being accidental and actually working. You can certainly do without it. good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….