• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian ram question

W

windshiftdogs

I have a 60 gal heavily planted tank, had a pair of Bolivian rams in there with algae eaters, cardinals, and otos. The female ram got trapped in a hairnet holding some moss before I noticed, and died a few months ago. :( In the past two months, I've lost two other fish, both appeared to be bruised, my LFS guy felt it was a bacterial infection secondary to an injury.

Anyhow, I moved the cardinals to another tank, and just put 6 quarter sized koi angels in the 60 gal. As I was watching them, I saw the ram attacking them. I now have him in an isolation cage in the tank. I really like this guy, but don't want him constantly injuring my other fish.

The question is, (and i do have a female on order but she hasn't come yet,) if I get a few more rams, will they just fight among themselves or will he keep after the angels too? He's a tough guy, he hardly eats what I feed - a mixture of flake and frozen- but is a mighty snail killer, definitely helping with the snail plague. :)

W

windshiftdogs

I thought 'Bolivian' meant M. ramerizi. This guy is an ordinary ram, not Bolivian. :oops:

Randall

5 Year Member
Ram dilema

Dear Windshift "Snoop" Doggie Dogs,

The Bolivian ram is Microgeophagus altispinosa, while the common Ram is M. ramirezi. I take it you have the latter.

Providing that you have suitable decor, i.e. plants, wood, rocks, cavelike structures, etc., your male Ram shouldn't pose a problem in a 60-gallon tank. If that's not the case, you might try rearranging the aquarium, thereby breaking down his established territory(s). In a tank that size, adding another pair of dwarf cichlids and/or one or two female Rams might help as well. The presence of dither fish--like your cardinal tetras--usually diffuses aggression as well.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

windshiftdogs,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Once a problem fish gets going something should be changed. To add another female into a tank with a male that has established superiority in an outwardly aggressive way, would be like throwing lambs to the wolf. A larger female or one that is very ready to breed may be Ok, but it is best to give a new fish a little time to get used to things before they have to worry about defense. What I usually do is, as Randall suggests, rearrange the tank structure. This makes a new and more even playing field. But that alone does not always work, because the tanks position is the same in the room and their are plenty of familiar objects for the old inhabitant to fix on, making him comfortable with the new internal structure more quickly. So, I usually remove the male and put him into another tank or fish jail (breeding net, floating container of some kind, etc - see http://www.apistogramma.com/adm2000.htm) and give the new female a day or two to acclimate. Then reintroduce the male. But, even then keep your eyes open. Conspecific aggression is not always moderated by dithers. Good luck!
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….