• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian Fry/Final Grow Out

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hi,
Just a quick question here. I have about 175 fry in a 30g. (I wrote about this earlier, nitrates are fine now, the tons of hornwort, daily water changes and purigen in the filter did the job.) Anyway, they are about 3/4 inch now and I'd like to start distributing them to other tanks. I'd put say 5-10 in a 10g with my chicken blue rams, and put 10-15 in my 20g long with their parents - bigger chickens here. And then I have another 10 with a couple of rainbow fry that 10-15 could go in. These are all tanks I have to add nitrates to - for the plants, so I think they could handle the load at this point.

I was going to buy some dither fish for these shy pairs, but it occured to me that lots of these little ones would do the job of dither fish. What do you all think? Should I wait till they are about an inch? The water parameters are just bit different in these other tanks, but I'd acclimate the fry slowly. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Cathy G

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
At that size they will know to get out of the way of the pair. They should be fine, but keep an eye out for the first few hours after you add them.

I added some small angels (about 100) and one small blue ram to my 65g tank with blue ram pairs in it. The small ram stayed with the angels it grew up with till it could mix in with the rams.

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Well that went over like a led balloon. My female ram was unmerciful - chased them all over. Had to recatch the babies and they are back into their 30g...
Hmm, guess I'll have to set up a couple of empty 10's I have around.
Cathy

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….