• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blue ram, where's the spot?

S

soko

Right now I have two 1" blue rams 1m/1f in my 50 gal, nothing else is in there but a bunch of plants and a peice of wood, anyways, a few hours after I dropped them in, one of them lost the stripe over its eye and it's black spot, sometimes when I stick my hand in there to feed them I can see it slowly come back but then dissapears a short time later. The other one is showing it's full color and as far as I've seen never faded. My pH is a little high 7.2, temp is about 75f, they both are free roamning the tank like they dont have a care in the world, but I don't understand why the stripe is gone! It's been like this for almost 24 hours. Any ideas?

aspen

5 Year Member
2 males?? the one showing the most colour is the dominant one. give this some time.

you wouldn't be the first to buy 2 males. i did a couple of months ago, and just noticed it. the subdominant never raised it's fin spike and maybe i didn't look close enough. but they sure looked like male and female when i got them.

rick

S

soko

Thanks, yes the one that I thought was the female was bigger than the male and had a pinkish stomach area so I thought it was a female too. Maybe they are both males. Bah...

Randall

5 Year Member
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Dear Soko,

24 hours is not a lot of time when acclimating fish to their new home. As Rick suggests, please give it time. Certainly, you could have two males, but in a 50-gallon tank it is possible to have two dominant males simultaneously. You might try raising the temperature (slowly) to 78 degrees F (75 is awfully chilly for rams) and softening the water a bit (pH 7.2 is a little high).

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….