• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black spots

cageman

5 Year Member
My Mouthbrooder have black spots on their body.
In CAII, Roemer speaks about a Calcium problem.
However, from a few other sources I keep hearing that it is a parasitic problem.
For example:
P1011516.jpg

RiC

5 Year Member
Yep, metacercaria, a trematode parasite. I posted about this here:

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=5878

As of now, no change in my fish, behavior is normal. I increased the water changes up to 60% per week, increased the temperature up to 82, I feed garlic, I treated once with PraziPro. Second treatment of Prazi is on its way, but I doubt it will be effective.

My female is quite yellow so it really looks like the parasite is not affecting them (which I have read everywhere, although some sources say that if the infection is too advanced, that can kill the fish).

cageman

5 Year Member
Thanks for your answer.
You seem to be spot on with your answer.

The fish seem not to be bothered by the parasite. They breed and look very healthy. The infection seems stable as well. The youngsters show no sign of infection.
I think I will not treat the disease unless someone advises to do so.

RiC

5 Year Member
All my books as well as sources say that they should not affect the fish. However, the spots have increased a little bit on my female and my male has one additional spot, this is why I decided to try to treat.

I'm waiting for the reply of a friend who's a biologist and researches parasites - and yes, she's a fishkeeper too - if she tells me something positive I'll post again :wink:

I have found on the net a product by Kordon that claims it treats BSD, but I'm not sure if I want to try it - I know that the Prazi is quite mild and should not affect the fish, but I don't know about the other medication. :rolleyes:

fishgeek

ric have you sent your friend some samples from the fish, possibly to confirm neascus flukes as the cause?

though i guess if you have treated with prazi there shouldnt be adult flukes about anymore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….