• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black mosquito larvae

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Please, a bit more civility. Otherwise I will have to close this, something I have never done in 10 years as a moderator.

Now, if only I could get black mosquito larvae frozen and in bulk. This is something I saw in Norway back in 2005.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
No. That company uses the same technique used to preserve milk and other foods to preserve the larvae.
That one.

Apologies to every-one, this whole thread has been a comedy of errors.

I should have realised that UHT was "ultra heat treated" and that the Mosquito larvae were dead and weren't going to zig-zag from surface to bottom and back.
Now, if only I could get black mosquito larvae frozen and in bulk. This is something I saw in Norway back in 2005.
I'm going to guess that Mosquito larvae aren't often in collectable quantities in the way you get chironomids ("Blood-worm") at sewage farms.

I would like to know how they collect their Mosquito larvae before I'd use them, as I don't use frozen blood-worms, but I will, happily, use ones I've ranched myself.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
It's hard to imagine a company in the US growing mosquitos on purpose. I occasionally see company listings for frozen midge larvae (glassworms/"white" mosquito larvae) but I've never actually been able to purchase it.

I'm skeptical about the UHT product. The larvae are preserved in a "special liquid formula." I would imagine a lot of the nutrients diffuse into the liquid, and you'd need to rinse them in order to avoid polluting your tank. Not sure how much nutrition is left after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….