• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bizzare coloration

Electric Snowman

5 Year Member
I've had a pair of cacs for about 2 months now, and am fascinated with them. They have yet to succeffully breed, (I found eggs once but none hatched) and I cannot believe the color changes that happen with them. Today I slowly crept up to my tank, and my female was hiding in the back, and she was completely grey, all except for her eye and a single spot on either side of her body which were both pitch black. I only witnessed this pattern for a moment, and when she spotted me, she quickly came to the front of the tank and the full stripe, and all her other markings stood out again. Does anyone know what this means? These fish are truley wonderful!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The dark eye & prominent lateral spot are typical brooding dress for A. cacatuoides. Usually the background color is dull yellow until she brings out freeswimming fry. Then she becomes bright yellow. Your female may be brooding eggs or larvae right now.

Electric Snowman

5 Year Member
wow that would be cool, I havent seen any fry, but I did notice her with that pattern again, and she is hiding a little more than usual. Thanks for the reply

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….