• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotope tank for uaupesi and diplotaenia?

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi,

First of all I would like to say hello to all of you and introduce my self a little bit.

I am keeping apisto for 7 years now and fresh water fish from childhood (with a few years of break that usually happened to some of us). I used to keep borelli, viejita, rams, d. filamentosus. Now I have a bunch of A. bitaeniata (F1 raised from F0 parents by myself), A. gibbiceps and A. uaupesi (only males). My current flat do not allowed me to think about more tanks (now I have only 2 - 240l and 60l) but due to the fact that I wlll move to much bigger one soon I am starting to think about new projects reg. dwarf cichlids

One of the projects that I have my mind for some years is biotope tank for both uaupesi and diplotaenia. There are some places (Rio Urubaxi if I am not wrong) where both fish are living close to each other so why do not try to show it in tank? Of course I know that these 2 species are rare or extremely rare (especially diplotaenia) and has very tight requirements reg. water conditions etc, but this time I would like to discuss with you if there is a sense to do it and if so if it will "work".

I am thinking about tank with food print at least 2mx0,5m with sand on the bottom. Each end of it would be prepared for one species. For uaupesi I'd like to prepare "rock corner" using granite slabs. For diplotaenia (if I finally succeed in getting them) it could be a "sand desert" with some driftwood, beach leaves and few plants.

This is general idea (outline) of such tank so any suggestions/opinions are welcome.

PS. Sorry for my English - at least I hope you will understand it correctly

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your idea is good. It is just like the area where Dr. Römer found both fish together. He reports that the A. uaupesi were the dominant fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….