• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotodoma cupido at ACA show

Scooter

5 Year Member
Did anyone who attended the ACA convention in Cincy over the weekend see the B. cupido in the show? That thing was awesome. I'd sure like to know who the fish belonged to and how they got it.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I could only see it's tail...was hiding behind the filter every time I went by. Looked rather large if I remember right. Very little else in the way of Apistos/Dwarfs in the show. I think the Macmasteri was about the only one worth looking at.

Did you get anything? I'm 0-4 for ACA's...I say not going to buy anything and end up leaving with a box full of stuff.

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey Cichlids1. Seems like most of the dwarves always hide behind the filters. I did see the Macmasteri and he was a beauty too. The cupid was actually out in front the first time I saw him. Really pretty orangish red to him. Maybe a bit unusual for a cupid.

I only picked up some Syn. petricolas (4) for an African tank. I don't really have room for anything else. But I also bought some wood and some spawning caves. I'm sure I probably ran into you, but didn't know you :D

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I was the guy in the Kiss Farewell tour T-shirt...

I picked up some more T. candidi, a pair of Apisto. Inca, a pair of Pelv. pulcher N'donga and some Benitochromis finleyi 'Blue Mungo' that are still pretty small.

After walking around the showroom, rental tank room, and browsing the Guy Jordan board, I thought I missed a memo and the convention became the African Cichlid Association. Wasn't much offered in the West African/Apisto area. Was a bit dissapointed in that repect. But, I mostly go to meet up with people and make some contacts in case there is something I really want down the road. Hopefully, with the convention being out west and Dr. Lamboj doing a presentation, the dwarf/westie faction will mobilize for a strong showing. Get some of the dwarf keepers from the west coast to make the journey and I'm sure some treasures will be there for the finding.

How's the Ohio fish doing at your place Grumpy? Any news to report?

Scooter

5 Year Member
Yeah, unless I completely overlooked them on the board, there weren't many apistos for sale. That's unfortunate. I don't remember seeing a guy with a KISS shirt but that doesn't mean I didn't see you. I don't know how many total people attended, but I would guess there were at least 300 or so. Ad Konings talks each drew over 100 people in my estimation.

In some ways, I wish I lived within a short commute to the convention so I could buy more fish. Sale fish go quickly so if you don't purchase them early, the selection decreases significantly. I got there late Friday afternoon and many folks were headed to their cars with bags of fish. The flip side is that the better deals can be had late Saturday and Sunday because sellers are anxious to unload some of their stock and are usually more willing to deal.
I did get a good deal on some Syn. petricolas late, late Saturday night. I saw some other really good deals, but waited too late to take advantage of them.

grumpy55

5 Year Member
Ohio Borellii

Hi Ken,

The Borellii are doing great !
The males have about doubled in size, and are starting to spar.
Their fins are very large for such a little fish.

The females get as far away as they can.

Do you think it would be wise to try those Bolivian again ?

Thanks,
Larry (grumpy55)

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Bolivians are ready to go whenever you want to try them again. For the life of me I can't figure out what could have went wrong. The borellii have proven more fragile in my tanks than the bolivians. If there was going to be a problem, I would have put money on the apistos being the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….