• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

biological filtration in black water setups

kingborris

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Just a general query as to the effect of KH depleted, highly acidic conditions on biological filtration within the aquaria. I know many people keep their apistos in such conditions to help spawning, but from my understanding, the nitrifying bacteria begin to die off at pHs under about 5.5. also, bacteria require a certain ammount of carbonates to be present to respire.

how is this managed in balckwater aquaria? do breeders of blackwater fish simply use water changes to reduce the need for bio filtration, or do you guys keep your tanks at a pH / KH where this isnt an issue?

Interested to here your thoughts on this.

TIA

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The bacteria in the biological filtration of blackwater has not been studied that I know about. Much of our information is based on studies of water treatment plants, which was carried over to aquarium use. These treatment plants normally don't treat highly acidic waters. I assume that different bacteria do the same function in different water conditions.

kingborris

5 Year Member
ok, but how do people actually manage it on a practicle basis? do the aquarium filters process ammonia and nitrites in the same manner as in a regular, pH neutral aquarium?

I dont keep particlularly soft or acid tanks myself (KH4, pH 6.8, TDS 150ppm) so i was just wondering how it works in practice?

fishgeek

i'm with mike on the theory that documented biobactera species are not the whole story

i have tanks at 4.5 pH that still filter well, or at least no ammonia etc detectable and fish healthy to my eye

bacteria evolved to fit many niche's and i think that low carbonate and acidity are not exclusive to bacterial actions

andrew

kingborris

5 Year Member
i guess the main thing is to mature the tank at the low pH, so that those strains of bacteria that are cultivated are adaptable to the acid conditions. Ive heard nightmare stories of bacterial filters keeling over due to rapid drops in pH as the KH gets eaten up to zero.

fishgeek

i thought peat formed in waterlogged anaerobic soils at low temperature under compression because those parameters inhibited the bacterial decomposition

is peat found in warm(tropical climates)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….