• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best food

mikewang

5 Year Member
whats the best food i can provide for my apistos. for growth and breeding. i know variety is good, im currently feeding frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, color bits. i just want to get some more foods.

i was thinking of getting, ocean nutrition (or omega one) and cichlid complete from hikari.

im not sure on the hikari though. there's many kinds. including wheat germ. is it healthy to feed a wheat germ diet on regular basis?
thanks

M0oN

5 Year Member
Ocean Nutrition and ONF provide the best sources of proteins for south american cichlids out there with the exception of frozen and live foods...they basically mimic frozen foods, though and are almost as nutritious and vitamin paked as hikari frozen blood worms.

Maybe spirulina as well?

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I usually feed my fish frozen foods (bloodworms, brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, glass worms and daphnia) and live foods (grindal, white worms and daphnia).

My question to everyone is: How many people have their Apistos activally eating prepared foods? Even the juvenile fish I raise do not accept flake or pellet foods let alone the adults. Any ideas why that is?

mikewang

5 Year Member
thanks for the tips.

my cacutoide pair will eat anything. including flakes and pellets. the female is a little shy on food, she takes a while to go for hte flakes. i dont feed flakes anymore since its my lowest grade food, but i try for fun once in a while and they eat it, but they dont jump on it. it has to pretty much float into their mouth.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi fishboy20,

When my juvies were about 1/2" long, I weaned them onto vitamin enriched flake food for a couple weeks, then returned to a varied diet and was able to include flakes in the mix. I've read that vitamin enriched flakes are very healthy, especially when used as a supplement to live food.

Michael

M0oN

5 Year Member
fishboy20 said:
I usually feed my fish frozen foods (bloodworms, brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, glass worms and daphnia) and live foods (grindal, white worms and daphnia).

My question to everyone is: How many people have their Apistos activally eating prepared foods? Even the juvenile fish I raise do not accept flake or pellet foods let alone the adults. Any ideas why that is?

If your fish are used to high quality foods then they are harder to ween onto flake and pellet food, this is especially true with black water type fish for some reason, discus, dwarf cichlids, severum etc...

When receiving new discus I usually feed them live CBW for a few weeks during the quarantine period to help fatten them up, the only way to get them to eat new foods is to literally starve them into it, you feed small amounts of the food you want them to eat throughout the day and a portion of what they'll accept before lights out in the tank...within about 3 days they begin to accept the other foods...and once one of the fish is seen by the others eating it the rest usually follow suit...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….