• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Battery Backup

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
When I set my aquarium, I didn't have a strip surge protector, but I did have one of the alternate power center's (the type that hooks up to a computer and has a 2 hour battery built in). So I figured what the heck. It was just sitting around anyway.

Well, I found out how helpful this was this morning. To make a long story short, the circuit triped in the bedroom where the tank was for about an hour or so. The tank kept running like nothing happened!! The light was off so I figure that I had about another hour left on the battery. Once the power came back on, the battery charged up and it was good to go in no time.

It gives me a little piece of mind in the event that the power goes out for a short period of time. The only downside of having one of these is the cost. I got mine for free, so you won't hear me complaining!

A

Alex

I've been running battery backups on my larger tanks for a few years now. They definitely help keep things running.

Alex

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
I've got around 40 tanks in my fishroom. I'm running 5 different small air pumps (no money to buy a good big one!!), and everyone of them is plugged into one of my 4 different battery back ups!!

Best piece of mind according to me!! Got them for cheap, but the batteries were dead. Replaced the batteries, and everything was fine. Still waiting for a chance for them to prove themselves...

scott

5 Year Member
i only have 10 tanks in my fish room and 4 display tanks in the living room. i have 2 air pumps in the fish room and 2 in the living room. i have 8 small battery operated pumps that i use when transporting fish. i figure if i lose power i will set these up in the tanks. what is this battery back up unit you guys are talking about. i would like something that kicks in automitically. as i have it now i made an alarm using a battery and small buzzer. it plugs into an outlet and if the power goes out the buzzer rings letting me know the power is off. this works fine if i am home even if it's the middle of the night the buzzer wakes me. i am just scared that i will lose power will noone is home and i will lose all my fish. can you let me know what exactly this unit is and where i can get one.

thanks,
scott

aspen

5 Year Member
a computer uninterrupted power supply (UPS) is available from any computer store. they will only run your air or esp canister filter.

imo, fish tanks will be fine without such a thing unless the tank is very heavily loaded like say a fry tank, or if there is a canister filter involved.

we had a blackout for 28 hours last year and my tanks were all fine, that is with sponge and aquaclear filtration. i had only 1 moderately stocked fry tank at the time though.

rick

scott

5 Year Member
my fry tanks are what i am mostly worried about so i guess i would just need one for the fish room not the displays since they are heavily planted with few fish

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….