• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

baby cacs

farm41

5 Year Member
The last time she had eggs, I moved her and the eggs to their own tank. This time I decided to just let things happen on their own. It worked, we have baby fry. The mom is chasing everyone else away, I hope some survive.

I started a batch of bbs tonight. Now how am I going to get some bbs down to the bottom of the 60g past all the rest of the fish?

How soon do the fry need food?

Z Man

5 Year Member
They won't be able to eat until she brings them out and herds them around. The easiest way to get the BBS to the bottom is with a turkey baster. But you better buy your own and not use the one from the kitchen. You will save yourself a lot of grief from the cook.

farm41

5 Year Member
She's got them out, and the school of otto's keeps coming over and she nails them and they keep coming. She's having quite a time between the otto's, 2 other female cac's, the ancistrus, and a betta(had to move my sons betta from it's 10g to the 60g to make a QT for a new pair of trifasciata).

Thanks Z man

Neil

farm41,
It has been about a week. How are the fry from the cacatuoides doing? By the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your first spawn. I am about to do the same for Matthew Clark. His cacatuoides just layed also. Maybe you can give him a few pointers on being a new parent. Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
It's only been 1 week, seems like forever. No really, watching mom guard the fry is nerve racking, one of the other female cacs has just been a terror. Next time there is a spawning I'm going to get them their own tank. I'm giving them bbs 3 times a day, and that is just way too cool, watching them eat and seeing their littlle tummies get big and pink. They are big enough now that we can see them from a few feet away.

Mom has been going back into the pot alot, I wonder if she is ready again?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….