• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistos dying

wild1

5 Year Member
I have two pairs of triafisciata for a little over 8 months and were doing great. I found a female dead a day ago. So I actually took a water sample to the lfs and they said my water is very good. Now a male turned up dying. My other fish are good with no deaths, have boraras, ember tetras, L305 pleco, and a couple of clown killies. So what I am wondering if they is anything I can do or since they are wild caught are they less hardy. Nothing new or different in the aquarium also. I took my sample to a guy who travels to south american once a year or so, I think he knows his water perimeters for apistos. Thanks

cichlidomaha

5 Year Member
I am curious to how old they were when you purchased them. You said they were wild caught, and that you have had them around 8 months. Most Apistos only live about 1 1 /2 years 2 if you you are real Lucky. They have a limited lifespan. They could have been 6 - 8 months old when you got them.

I hope this helps.
Thomas

wild1

5 Year Member
Well they were just coloring up and hadnt even develop their fins when I aquire them. I will say it might been closer to like 6 months but were doing well until one after the other started getting sick. First it was a male who got very dark and swimming differently. Then after a day a female appeared dead. I say after two days the other male was laying on his back. I raised a couple of apistos about 5 species or so and even kept some biotoecus which were the hardest to maintain but did. My first real fish who I kept for a little over three years was a nice south american puffer. Thanks for the replies.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
A. trifasciata is one of the earliest maturing of the Apistos and they reach their prime at 8 months but are getting old at 1-1/2 years. I have had tiny females spawn at only about 3 months.

A. borelli, OTOH, take 6-8 months to reach a good size and are considered by many of us a slow growing species and they tend to live for 3 years and have a relatively long breeding life.

Some Apistogramma are very nearly annuals. I suspect your fish are nearing their senile stage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….