• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Viejita?

discus_noob

Hi guys,

Here are some pics of some Apistogramma Viejitas that were brought into Aust. These look totally different to most labelled Viejita in Aust that are actually Macmasteri and hoping they are the true Viejita, so I am wanting your opinion on the fish. Thanks heaps

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

Female getting her breeding dress on;
IMG_5127.jpg

Cheers,

Adam

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"Redback/Rotrücken" is the name given to a colorful form of A. macmasteri. Your fish are actually A. macmasteri (Rotrücken). True A. viejita show a broad red top on the dorsal fin - and never have a double-tipped caudal fin, which show on your fish. Don't be too unhappy. You have a beautiful fish. 99% of all "A. viejita" sold commercially are actually A. macmasteri.

discus_noob

Damn. Thanks mate. You are like the god of apistos. I have been a long time lurker of this forum and your wealth of knowledge is simply mind boggling. Thank you for the ID. Either way they are gorgeous fish (Still young but still nice fish). I just wanted to see if it was possible that maybe these guys were the true viejita but I was wrong.

There is a tank with a different fish to these guys or looks slightly different also labelled as a viejita. I will get pictures up in the coming days to make sure if it is just a macmasteri or not. My belief is it will just be a macmasteri but it is worth a shot :)

Why is it that there are hardly any viejita and there are so many mislabelled fish?

Also the colour form of viejita called apisto. viejita "gold" is that actually based on a macmasteri as well?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Presently, all of the commercially bred fish listed as 'A. viejita' - Gold, Rio Meta, II, etc. are actually strains derived from A. macmasteri. Here is a Q&D (quick & dirty) way to separate the 2 species:

If it doesn't have a broad red band along the top of the dorsal fin (males), then it is not A. viejita (some strains of A. macmasteri have a red/orange band, but not as wide or bright)

If it has a squared-off caudal (with or without extensions), then it is not A. viejita.

If it has a chunky/husky/robust body, then it is not A. viejita.

Wild A. macmasteri in the commercial trade are collected mostly in the immediate vicinity the city of Vilavicencio, Colombia. This area is controlled by the Colombian National Police and is relatively peaceful and safe. The collecting locations for A. viejita are only about 25 - 50 km from Vilavicencio, but the area is not under the control of the Colombian NP. The area often is controlled by narco-trafficers and the FARC revolutionaries, who make it their business to keep (kill/kidnap) people people they don't want in the area. Hopefully, this will be changing in a few years, but no one knows for sure.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"You are like the god of apistos.

My wife just called and I repeated this to her. I thought someone would need to slap her hard many times (or at least give her a paper bag for hyperventillation). She was laughing so hard!! She sure knows how to keep a guy from getting a 'swell head'! lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….