• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma "tefe"

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
These fish came in lately as A tefe from Peru. This male was the best of the bunch. The thing that throws me is the red shoulder area.

DSC03351.jpg

DSC03353.jpg

Thanks

Chris

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning chriss,

i also have Tefe, however mine show more yellow in the pectrol fins.
Maybe depending from which river they come from, that the species might slightly change in colour morfs.

Nice looking male though.

cheers jan-kurt

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Jan

These fish are leading a pamperd life at this point. This male and a female that was very yellow at the time of picking "at the importers" stood out as the cream of the crop. I saw a talk about dart frogs and heard a term used to describe how animals choose mates "sexy sons and daughters" used in relation to dart frogs. I am hoping that by choosing most colorful juveniles that showed the most dominance, they will make sexy sons and daughters.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Gday Chris,

Mine as well. They basically have a 100litre planted tank to themselves, with just 12neons and a pleco. I have 1 M and 2F. You will find that the Females, when they are in spawning mood, that their whole body turnes into a citrus yellow, just wonderful. I have 1F doing this at the moment and the other F is just plain colour. Just great to watch the colourchanges. I will try to download photos soon of my fish.
Ialso keep Apisto Pando/ agassizii double red/ Macmasteri Superiour body red/ Borelli/ Sp Erdfresser and cacatoides.

Cheers Jan-kurt

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The wavy stripes above & below the lateral band on the male certainly shows that it is A. sp. Tefé. Females are indistinguishable from female A. agassizii - except for other A. sp. Tefé. This fish only comes from Brazil. I think that your supplier (if the same as the one that supplied the A. trifasciata) has no idea of where his fish are coming from. My bet is that they are domestic and not wild, probably from the Czech Republic. Based on these your experiences with distribution information on A. trifasciata & A. sp. Tefé, I wouldn't trust anything your supplier says (well, he did get the species name correct).

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I was wrong about these coming from Peru. The "Tefe" did come in from Brasil. I get alot of fish from Mark Denaro. He can and has gotten fish in from Brasil, Columbia, and Peru. I get my wild angels, altum angels and wild discus from him. He is a close friend of mine so I know that they are wild. Most of the time the IDs are close. The reason I end up with so many that are not correct is because I pick out the oddballs and let them grow up. Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose. For the most part I win. I have some pretty nice wild Apistos that have come in through him. Not to mention almost every big bag of tetras has an apisto or odd tetra in it. Sorry about the mixup in locations. The eartheaters with trifasciata mixed in may have been from a trans shipper, and the mixing in from a place like that would not supprise me at all. The trifas could have been leftovers in the tank and "hey its an apisto send it" happens. Mark does not get many shipments from Europe or Czech.

watsawat

5 Year Member
Hey Chris,

Sorry for the bad photos, but these are my TEFE. Different colour, but same slick shape.
DSC00470.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00463.jpg
[/IMG]

cheers jan-kurt :biggrin:
Your fish is similar with my fish . Do you think,Is it the same type?.
111111smalliw2.png

:confused:

watsawat

5 Year Member
Bigbird,
Sorry ,bad picture I'm very busy now.I have not clean my tank for a mount :biggrin: . I will clean my tank and get a better picture soon.I think May be my fish is't Tefe but some shop in my country called them as Tefe.
For the shop I bought them called them as sp. orange .I never heard this name before and the price for this fish is cheaper than others apisto in the shop.

bigbird

5 Year Member
ok I will wait, but do not forget.
There is a Agassizii Sp Orange tail as in the picture Aqualog SAC2, but the tail is orange, yours is hard to make out. There are so many types and mixed breeds. But best is a clear sharp photo.
Have fun cleaning the tank
cheers jan-kurt:biggrin:

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I am in luck. The pair in the pictures is tending their first spawn of fry, and doing a fine job of it. I am glad i have microworms on hand the fry are really small.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Congratulations Chris.
I saw them listed and was hoping some would still be in stock this month but they were at a good price and sold out. I had blown my fish budget setting up six new 40 gal breeder tanks and on six wild Nhamunda Blue Discus.
I thought all the photos in this thread were of A. cf. agassizi Tefe'.
This is a polychromatic species?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….