• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp Caura 2??

RustedKnight

http://www.aquatic-experts.com/Apistogramma_sp_2.html

Please look at the above site. I came across it by accident, and saw this fish.
What struck me immediately is how similar this fish is to Apistogramma sp Schwarzkehl and Rotflecken in body shape and finnage, and it leads me to wonder if this is the same species, just another colourform, or infact, a very similar species??

When I google Apistogramma sp Caura though it comes up with many different fish, not the above, so is the ID on this correct? If not, what IS this fish?

Would love to get my hands on the above, as I already keep Schwarzkehl and find them a fascinating Apistogramma.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's not A. sp. Caura, obviously. It looks like one of the many forms/species that belongs to the hongsloi-complex of the macmasteri-group. The Río Caura is presently the only location where species of the macmasteri- and hongsloi-complexes occur at the same locality.

Ttw

5 Year Member
I caught very similar fish when I collected in some morichales in Venezuela. I thought they were A. hoignei.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, there is a similar looking A. hoignei from northern Venezuela. It doesn't show the red patch over the caudal spot, however. This hongsloi form is a bit unusual in that it does show some spotting on the head similar (but not as extensive) as on A. hoignei.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….