• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma "Red point"

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
I recently acquired a wild-caught group of these fish.
They seem quite happy at the moment and I think I have one male and three females, too early to tell but great if that works out!!
By the way, I got all four at the BCA auction for just £3!
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these fish and which known species it most closely relates to. I've had success in the past with agassizii and macmasteri.
I also would like to know if they will become aggressive later on and if they have been given a proper name yet.
Thanks!

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I'm sure Peter (Lovett) will wander past at some point, these were fish that he brought in earlier this year and he should be able to fill you in with behaviour etc in his tanks.

In the mean time, 'red spot/rotpunkt' is the common name for Apistogramma (cf.) alacrina which falls under the 'regani' lineage. From the phylogeny chart they are reasonably close to the macmasteri group, so your prior experience should stand you in good stead!!

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't believe that the Rotpunk, which your fish is, is collected in the wild right now. It comes from areas under the control of cocaine growers and the FARC. Fish rarely come out of this area right now. I was just shown some "wildcaught A. viejita from the Rio Meta" that turned out to be domestic A. sp. Rotpunkt. It is a great beginners dwarf cichlid.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone

Mike the fish i have are wild and are as close as i can tell red points and the males are stunning. Though i do have 2 types the ones you have are the more colourful.

Both type have spawned for me and seem okay together however I have about 30 fish in one tank and may be 15 in an other.

I think they are a very underated fish.

I'll see if i can post pics of both types.

Regards,

Peter

Mark

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

I got some real wildcaught fish a couple of months ago here in Europe. It is rotpunkt for sure, but I am not sure which form.
Somehow this species is coming out of the wild...

Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….