• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Nijsseni

Michael

5 Year Member
How many apistogramma nijsseni could I safely fit into an established 26 gallon aquarium. What kind of water do they need to survive and could other south american dwarf cichlids like apistogramma borellii go into the tank with the nijsseni's. Also do the nijsseni's need a upside down flower pot to breed in or do they ley there eggs on the gravel. Any information would be appreciated.

-Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
Michael said:
How many apistogramma nijsseni could I safely fit into an established 26 gallon aquarium.

1 pair or trio

What kind of water do they need to survive and could other south american dwarf cichlids like apistogramma borellii go into the tank with the nijsseni's.

Nuetral water is fine for keeping them, more acidic and soft for breeding.

Also do the nijsseni's need a upside down flower pot to breed in or do they ley there eggs on the gravel. Any information would be appreciated.

A flower pot or some other type cave is best.

Michael

5 Year Member
When you say a trio of them does that mean 2 females and 1 male and can apist. nijsseni be agressive towards other members of the tank? Thanks for your help!

-Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
nijsenni can be very agressive, as can any apisto.

A trio would be 1m, 2f. A reverse trio is the opposite, 2m, 1f.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
My experience from Nijssen told me to never put any other fish with them if they are breeding, because they're going to make a nice carnage in the tank.

Breeding pair are beautiful, but very agressive. I called mine Bonny and Clide :p

Phil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….