• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma nijsseni question

G

gvv

Hello everybody!

I have the question about their sizes. I decided to ask this question, because a month ago I bought the young pair of nijsseni. Now they are only 4 cm but already spawned - I didn't expect them do it so fast 8O .
I found out that different sources gives different sizes for Apistogramma nijsseni: for Males from 4 to 8 cm, and for Females from 3.5 to 7.5.
Is it because of different locations they were taken from?

Regards

aspen

5 Year Member
sexually mature dwarf species can be very small. i've had fish breed that i was very surprised about. yet, if you are lucky or skillful enough to keep them till they're old (still waiting for that) they can continue to grow and reach quite a size. i've seen a pair of huge cacs, male and female both over 4" (10 cm), both in full finnage. compared to their smaller conspecifics, they are quite impressive as 'grandpa's'.

rick

G

gvv

Thanks aspen,

But now another question: at waht age they become sexually mature?
I read that in wild apistos are "annual" species, so I assume they should become mature very fast...

Regards

depthc

5 Year Member
At about four months nijsseni becomes sexually active.

As for size males reach 9 cm (3.5"), females 6 cm (2.4") when matured.

(source - Uwe Romer's Cichlid Atlas 1)

.dc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….