• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma macmasteri wild

FIL

5 Year Member
Apistogramma sp "Kurzlappen-Breitbinden"

Hello,

A small presentation of my Apistogramma macmasteri wild. A species very fearful that passes all of his time hiding. It took one month and a half and adding Hyphessobrycon amandae to make them less shy.
Today, they no longer hide when they see me in front of the aquarium, I can now take some pictures and make sure of their true identity because I still have a doubt about his identity.

The vertical bands are diffuse and stains on the back extend onto the dorsal fin. The tail is a double edge and marginated red. The tip of the dorsal and anal fin extends to almost the tip of the tail. My only doubt is on the longitudinal strip which should be discontinued and the task of caudal peduncle that does not appear.<br>
The behavior is also particularly macmasteri.

Thank you in advance for your help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113605935717354831218/ApistogrammaMacmasteriSauvage?feat=directlink

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice photos, FIL, but this is not A. macmasteri. The first indicator is that the fish show a lateral spot - which does not exist on A. macmasteri! From what I see it looks like you have a brevis-group species, probably A. sp. Kurzlappen-Breitbinden (A166). It is a very rare fish in the hobby and much more difficult to reproduce.

FIL

5 Year Member
thank you for your reply.

I suspected it was not macmasteri but I was not sure.
How can I be sure of its identity. Is there a scientific paper that could help?

For now it is better to appoint A. sp. Kurzlappen-Breitbinden? (A166)

The female is in her third nesting. Here's a video:

[video]http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xier5g_macmasteri-sauvage2_animals[/video]

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is no paper on Kurzlappen except Koslowski's first discussion of this species: Koslowski, Ingo, 2004. Zwergbuntbarsche: Eine weitere Form des Breitbinden-Apistogramma. DATZ 57(9): 32-32. It is in German, of course, but the article is available as a PDF from DATZ. I added a brief description in my English translation of Koslowski's 2002 book and there are photos in the DATZ book. Briefly, Kurzlappen is more slender than the typical Breitbinden and has much shorter lappets behind the first 4 extended spines. It arrived with Blutkehl/Cutthroat Apistos, so it probably occurs in the same locations as Blutkehl: Río Atabapo, Colombia.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't see the original photos again. All I get is, "Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist..." Looking at your video all I can say is that the fish can't be A. macmaster. The caudal fin/pattern is wrong and, in particular, your fish have a lateral spot - something no regani-lineage species (like A. macmasteri) shows. Now, The fin shows a series of linear stripe on the top half and a weak spotted pattern on the bottom. The fish show a lateral band that doesn't end in front of a caudal spot (A. macmasteri has a caudal spot visibly separate from the lateral band). Your fish shows very broad dorsal blotches, much broader than on A. macmasteri) and finally, it shows dark edges on the scale of the flanks. All of these features are diagnostic of brevis-group species. The only brevis-group species known to show all of these features - plus the highly extended 2nd and 3rd spines on the dorsal fin with a lower (not highly) serrated remainder of the dorsal is A. sp. Breitbinden (Kurzlappen). I agree that black anterior spines on males of most 'advanced' apisto species are atypical. Personally I would consider it an aberration on your fish. Every other feature points to Kurzlappen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….