• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma juriennaia?

G

grihan

Hi all! I recently bought this apistogrammas, and my shop sold it as Ap. juriennaia. I know that juriennaia don´t exist, so I thought they were Juruensis or Jurua, but comparing side by side the photos of them I think my fishes are different apistogrammas. Can you help me to identify them?
Apistogramma_juriennaia_001.jpg

Apistogramma_juriennaia_003.jpg

Apistogramma_juriennaia_005.jpg

Apistogramma_juriennaia_007.jpg

Apistt_ed

ok the second picture is A. Eremnopyge (young) and the rest of the 2 pictures below it seem to look like A. sp emerald (smargd) not 100% sure. I'm not sure what the top one is... maybe Mike can help more than I. hope this helps a little.

john

scott

5 Year Member
Apistt_ed,
are you sure about the 2nd pic? i really don't have any experience trying to id fish from photos but i do have a 20 gal tank with 3 pair of eremnopyge and there body shape seems to be different from that fish. my eremnopyge are much more long and "streamlined". also the dorsal fin looks different. i'm probably wrong but that fish doesn't look like eremnopyge to me. sorry for questioning you, i'm sure you have much more experience than me :oops:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There might be 2 different species here. I believe that the first photo might be of a male A. sp. Papagei/Parrot, but the photo is too poor for positive ID. The other 3 photos show a species of the cruzi-complex, most likely A. sp. Nanay sensu Koslowski (2002). Your cruzi-complex fish are obviously domestic & show a genetic defect. The ventral fins are extremely short (stunted) even for a cruzi-complex fish.

G

grihan

thanks for the answers...
they are supposed to be the same species,at least I bought all the five fishes as the same specie. I'll try to make better photos from the first one. It's the smallest of the five fishes I bought from a zech exporter.
Mike, the 5 apistos have the ventral fins too short :(

esteban

5 Year Member
Hello Mike, I do not have just understood this of the ventral fins, ¿because happens this? I have a male of Apistogramma sp. papagei and also this happens him
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/estebanapistos/algodon/Dscn1448.jpg
and a time ago I had a male of Apistogramma eunotus "orange-tail" and its ventral fins were also very short.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/estebanapistos/eunotus/Dscn0672.jpg

as it happens to grihan these apistos were imported of the Czech republic to Spain

greetings from Spain

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Estaban,

This is very strange - the same deformity on 3 different species. The deformity might not be inbreeding, but environmental instead. The water might not be optimum & cause this problem. It can be determined by breed the Czech fish & seeing if the offspring develop stunted fins. If the do - & you raised them in optimum water quality - then the problem is hereditary. If not, then they are fine for breeding purposes.

G

grihan

I'm trying to do better photos ofthe smallest fishes...I want to know if they are a different specie. They have normal lenght of the ventral fins...

esteban

5 Year Member
Hello Mike, I have maintained several species of this importer and only I had problems in the ventral fins with these two species.
The fact is that with the time I have observed that these fins went being extended. For which this defect could be for the quality of the water of the Czechs.
And if this is certain, ¿why affects only to the ventral fins?

thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….